External Protein Skimmer Advice

dcathey

I dont think I have enough room to do an adequate skimmer in my sump. My tank is 125 gallon and I want to have a nice skimmer for this setup. My question is on external skimmers. What are some dood ones. Any advice towards a particular model? I have been looking a t a DAS EX-1 Skimmer and they look nice. How is this plumbed? are all externals plumbed on the return line or do you have a separate pump in the sump and a drain off of the skimmer? Need some help. Want to stay under $350

aquaknight

I have a 125gal, and had to put the skimmer external too. It's an AquaC EV-240. How you 'feed' (power) the skimmer sort of depends on what type it is. If you get a recirculation skimmer, like the DAS EX-1, you can have the intake coming from the main tank go directly into the skimmer. You have to have either, 2 overflows, or make a 'T' coming off the main intake line, so you can control that by a ball valve. Just so there isn't a restriction on the overflow. Or most people have an extra pump in the sump to bring the water in. If you have 'standard' type skimmer (venturi or injection or beckett), you'll have to put an extra pump in the sump.
As for the EX1, is nice, but depending on how you're going to stock your tank, I would say to get the EX2 instead. That way you're not limited by the skimmer.
Here's my EV240 installed:

dcathey

I have space for a 5 gallon water bottle b/c that is what I use to top my tank off and it sits right next to the sump. Do you have a parts list and a little more detailed pics....If I am going to tackle that I may need some help........ As far as an AquaC goes....anyone had problems when mounted externally? No overflows or flooding?

pumper

Here is a thread I started a day or so ago. It started with a question about a pump which I answered myself. I have decided since then to document each step in detail with pictures in said thread As I collect and modify the parts. I will try and provide a comprehensive bill of materials tonight. I will post it here: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/334286/diy-skimmer-build-help supposedly this build is similar to a skimmer that runs 1700.00...
As far as the aqua c ev-120 goes, it is a great investment I think. Don't forget you will also have to buy a pump to run the skimmer. A mag drive 5 at the least. Here is the user manual: http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/EV120.pdf

natclanwy

I can get you some pics might be a couple of days though, I am out of town right now. I'll be home tonight but then I leave again tommorrow so If I get time tonight I will take a couple of pics other wise it will probably be Thursday.
I do have a drawing though maybe this will be enough
I mounted my skimmer above my sump but if you want to drill your sump you can mount it beside the sump.