external pump

matty0h_52

im takeing on a massive upgrade. and i was woundering a good external pump for a 200 gal reef tank. some personal opinions maby

maurice

I have several of the iwaki pumps and i really like them,they are quiet and work well.I went with the jap. pumps,not the U.S. motors though!I use one to run my return from my sump and one to run my ETSS800 skimmer.

maurice

A minumum of 20x water turnover,i would shoot for 25-30!That means all of your pumps and power heads combined.

matty0h_52

if i go with the iwaki that wont be enough flow? i would still have to add power heads? its a dual built in over flow tank

maurice

Maybe i am not understanding here.Are you trying to keep from putting powerheads in the tank?I have 2 big external pumps but i still have several powerheads in the tank as well.

gold strip

Have you considered having the walls of the tank drilled for additional bulkheads and using a closed loop system in addition to the main overflows? That would give you much higher flow without having to put powerheads in the tank.
I have an Iwaki 100rlt on my 180 gal and love it but I also have a closed loop for my chiller and another closed loop through an oceansmotions 4-way for circulation with Little giant 4 pumps running both of them so that adds up to about 4000 gph flow.

matty0h_52

thats a good idea except, im kinda wery of drilling the tank, damageing the integrity of the structure im kind of sceptical of it. but i will keep it in mind of course. thx

golfish

I've been using a Sequence Baracuda for 6 months or so. Lots more flow then my Dolphin Amp Master.
I'd rethink drilling the tank. Its give a much cleaner look and if you throw in something like the Ocean Motion you'll add some nice wave action. If you buy a well built tank you shouldn't have to worry about holes effecting the structure of the tank. A good manufacture isn't going to drill a tank if he thinks it will effect it.

fishy7

I am in the process of setting up a 215 and went with the DART sequence pump. I read many good things about the pump and also posts on this site.....

Good luck!

bwilson

I run two posiden (sp) T4's in my 150. They are rated for 1225gph - 3ft. They are quiet infact no other pump gets close to them. There downfall is that they heat the water and you will have to have a chiller. Also if you are running a small sump like I am and pumping over 2000gph through your sump you are going to have a Micro buble problem. I have solved mine but its tricky. I Had to get an auto top off to keep the water at an exact level (could not wait two days without a fill) or the pumps would push water faster than it could move throught my baffels to stop the bubbles. If you want more info I can post pictures.
BW