External Water pumps...

chris17

Sorry for any confusion. The flow rate will be reduced for flowing into/thru the fuge. I will try and work up a diagram if I can get some time too. The sump/fuge will be placed on the left side underneath the stand. I am going to make the left side of the tank(55g) the fuge, and the right side the sump holding the skimmer. I am going to use the overflow setup that Veni has incorporated in his setup. I am going to mod (compared to his setup) the main line comeing from the DT into a "Y" with one side haveing a ball valve to regulate the flow to the fuge. The rest will go straight to the sump side, with the siphon and the emergency down pipes. The fuge will also overflow into the sump side. The return pump from the sump will have around 4-1/2 to 5' of head to the top of the tank. The CL pump will have around 3' head, it will be sitting on a small stand. I am open to all suggestions seeing how I have not started to build the stand yet and I have not made any big equipment purchases. Only 30lbs of base rock and 1- 5g bucket of Reef Crystals

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by chris17
http:///forum/post/2681748
Sorry for any confusion. The flow rate will be reduced for flowing into/thru the fuge. I will try and work up a diagram if I can get some time too. The sump/fuge will be placed on the left side underneath the stand. I am going to make the left side of the tank(55g) the fuge, and the right side the sump holding the skimmer. I am going to use the overflow setup that Veni has incorporated in his setup. I am going to mod (compared to his setup) the main line comeing from the DT into a "Y" with one side haveing a ball valve to regulate the flow to the fuge. The rest will go straight to the sump side, with the siphon and the emergency down pipes. The fuge will also overflow into the sump side. The return pump from the sump will have around 4-1/2 to 5' of head to the top of the tank. The CL pump will have around 3' head, it will be sitting on a small stand. I am open to all suggestions seeing how I have not started to build the stand yet and I have not made any big equipment purchases. Only 30lbs of base rock and 1- 5g bucket of Reef Crystals

That sounds like a pretty good set up Chris,i wish i had more room underneath my tank to do that or a basement .But i opted to have a 30 gallon top off reservoir instead of a full fledged sump and a small refugium"20 gallon long".

chris17

Thanks veni, I was wondering where you got your overflow and silicon to fix it in place. Also, where did you get the 2 covers for your intake lines? Sorry I am picking your brain and useing your ideas
I just really like how you have it setup considering I have the same size tank it will be easy to duplicate.
Thank you for your input and suggestions.

chris17

Ok, this is my how I am thinking about running my returns from the DT to the fuge and sump. #2 is the main line with the "y" and a ball valve on the side that goes to the fuge. The other line from the Y goes to the sump side. #1 is the "open-channel" which runs straight to the sump side. #3 is the emergency line which also runs straight to the sump side. Does anybody see any problems with this setup? I didn't have time to put the returns from the pump in
I am not sure exactly where I want them to go yet. The other 2 white dots are the intake holes for the CL. The skimmer is an in sump skimmer which will fit into the sump side of the tank.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2683070
Ok, this is my how I am thinking about running my returns from the DT to the fuge and sump. #2 is the main line with the "y" and a ball valve on the side that goes to the fuge. The line from the Y goes to the sump side. #1 is the "open-channel which runs straight to the sump side. #3 is the emergency line which also runs straight to the sump side. Does anybody see any problems with this setup? I didn't have time to put the returns from the pump in
I am not sure exactly where I want them to go yet. The other 2 white dots are the intake holes for the CL. The skimmer is an in sump/tank skimmer which will fit into the sump side of the tank.
I would change the last baffle to leave the opening at the bottom not the top.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2683014
Thanks veni, I was wondering where you got your overflow and silicon to fix it in place. Also, where did you get the 2 covers for your intake lines? Sorry I am picking your brain and useing your ideas
I just really like how you have it setup considering I have the same size tank it will be easy to duplicate.
Thank you for your input and suggestions.
I had the glass cut for the overflow at my local glass shop for i think $26 and i used GE Type I 100% silicone clear.The intake screens came from here:http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cg...khead-Fittings
BTW none of my ideas are origianl ,i used someone elses too
.Pick away

chris17

stdreb27, I had thought about that, just forgot to add 1 more in there. Other than that, no other suggestions?
Veni, so you just put it together "free-hand". Not bad, had me fooled.
Well if they were not your original ideas then what the heck, I have 6 more questions.....
I take that back, I can't think of any right now.

stdreb27

But depending on the length, I still think you are going to have bubbles. I had setup a 3 foot tank until about 1000 gph, I had bubbles going through 2 sets of bubble baffles.

chris17

Depending on length of.... pipe?
Not sure I follow you at the moment lol I have random blonde moments, it sucks.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2683104
Depending on length of.... pipe?
Not sure I follow you at the moment lol I have random blonde moments, it sucks.
Of the tank, the bubbles won't have time to dissapate before they are chewed back up by the return pump.

chris17

Ah, I see. Do you think that if I placed all 3 returns in a small chamber of their own with 3 baffles after them that it would make a big differance? It would go the fuge, return chamber, then 3 baffles.
Just a thought.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2683125
Ah, I see. Do you think that if I placed all 3 returns in a small chamber of their own with 3 baffles after them that it would make a big differance? It would go the fuge, return chamber, then 3 baffles.
Just a thought.
Possibly, remember the key is time to dissapate. It needs some time and surface area. Another thing you might consider, I've seen "pictures" on other forums of guys with something similar to your flow, but they've used micron bags to address the bubble issue, and add some mechanical filtration. However the problem with that is those bag end up needed to be swapped out and washed just about every day.

chris17

I had thought about both the filter floss and the micron bags. I have a while before the tank is setup, but we will see how it goes. I will try an leave it open at first, then if I find bubbles I will try the floss first. If worst comes worst I will try the micron bag. I just orderd my Reeflo Snapper
(2500gph) 1- 2 3/8 Diamond Coated Holesaw and 3 - 1 1/2" Bulkheads
I am getting the tank next week.

big

Looks good, do not change the intake side.... Be sure there is not a elbow between the sump and the Sequence pump . ( prevents pump pull cavitations better)
Maybe add a flapper check on the return too. Also if you added a control valves on the middle sump lines you could move 100% into the fuge when wanted.
I flow a ton of flow threw mine and it seems with a mass of Cheato in it (Chaeto loves strong flow..)I do not have a bubble issue in a similar system with all flow going threw the fuge first. ( but not quite the same setup. more valves more stuff )
Plus I can sell or trade all the Cheato it grows with a LFS..... Good Luck with the project!!