extra 10 gallon

dfishh

wen i started sw, i had only a 10 gallon tank. it did well, but then i upgraded to 55, and the only thing left in the 10 is the water, the cc, and sum empty shells. wat can i do with it? the water is about a year old now, and its packed with pods, theyr all over the place and theyr huge cuz nuthin eats them. can i use this in any way? i do not want to make a nano, theyr too much work for me and i wont be able to maintain it. it could not be a fuge because it is on differint floor than my 55, and dont they need to be in sum way conected, like by a mag drive or pump? i have herd of sumone with a litle fuge, not conected to theyr tank. they sed that they take a gallon of water from theyr fuge and put it in theyr big tank evry day, then replace the water taken out of the fuge with old sw. would this work? problem is i dont have a dsb, its just CC. i could easily take teh small amount of CC out, then put in lots of live sand tho. 20 lbs maybe, is this overkill?
woah that was a long post, sry for askin so many questions, anybody wanna answer them?;)
DAVE

T

thomas712

Just my opinion but in this case the CC is serving a great porpous in harboring the pods, I wish I had a 10 gallon with this problem. I see no reason why you couldn't use this as supplimental food for your main display and maybe keep a mandain in the main and feed him with what is in the 10 gal. I also see no reason why you could not take a small amount of water from it to the main as long as everything tests fine.
Thomas

goldrush

Sounds good. Just keep "seeding" the 55 with pods and water from the 10(if parameters are the same),could be a constant source.

dfishh

but the question is, how do i get the pods into the main tank. i was thinking that evrytime i do a water change on the big tank, keep sum extra water. then, every day, i could take sum water from the 10, then put it in the big tank, then replenish the 10 with the extra water from the water change on the big tank. then i would have to do more water changes, but im ok with that. as for a mandarin, i dont think im experienced enuf to keep a mandarin happy, so im not gonna try, but i do think my sixline wrasse would maybe like the pods to eat. so u think i should keep the CC in the 10? wen i vacuum the CC tho, wont i kill the pods?
DAVE

T

thomas712

Lets see you can syphon them out when you need some.
You can still clean the cc bottom by syphoning and then netting the pods that wind up in the bucket. This too would be fine.
You can suck them up with a turkey baster, if they fit and most of them usually do, and squirt them into the main tank.
It really wont take much to maintain the 10 the way you are doing, maybe add some maco algea and have your own little pod farm :p
I would clean maybe a 1/4 or 1/3 of the CC each time that you do decide to clean it and leave the rest undesturbed as the pods will invade the clean area in a matter of hours. You could cover the end of your syphon with a micron bag to catch them and then rinse the bag inside out in the main tank to introduce the pods.
You can use the waterchange water from the main like you are thinking but I would keep it circulating if it were me, by that I mean if you are going to have it around in a bucket then I would drop a powerhead and heater in there, know what I mean.
Thomas

dfishh

yes i do thomas, i was thinking about grabbing sum calurpa from my lfs, i think he gives it away for free. also, wen i vaccum the gravel and the pods end up in the bucket, if i net them out, wont alot of the crap that i vaccumed out get in the net too?
i also thought i should get a kent aquadose to replace water from evaporation since its a smal tank. i could also put sum snails in the tank and use kalwaser with the aquadose for them. or do u think the snails would be usless? o ye, and wat about filtration? do u think much wil be necesary?
DAVE

T

thomas712

If you are truly going for a pod breeding tank then I would not put snails in it, the pods will love the slime that grows in it.
AT this point I should hand you over to Sammystingray and have you visit his Worlds Ugliest Tank in his bedroom. Check out his thread by that name.
Here's an idea that worked for me, I used the whisper power filters and just took those filter cartriges and shook the pods out back into the main, they acted like mini refugiums for pods.
As to syphoning them out and seperating them from any grit, waste and debris..well that could be a bit of a pain but you'll have to work with it. Maybe let them sit in the bucket till the silt settles down and then use the turkey baster to suck them up and try to seperate them from the debris.
Check out the threat by sammy
Thomas

dfishh

i dont know, my tanks probly ugglier;) thanx ill check it out, but i just wanna make this clear. i use just a regular whisper power filter, then take the cartridge out once in a while and dip it into my main tank? should i take out the carbon? also, i herd the impeller wil kill most of the pods
DAVE
btw, wat section is sammy's post in?

T

thomas712

Looks like you found the post alright.
To be clear, I had two whisper powerfilters on my 55 that at one time was loaded with pods, and I used to just take out the filter cartrige and hold it over the tank and knock the little buggers off with my finger, many of them just jumped off when the bright lights hit em.
The impeller may kill a few but I'm here to tell you they were definatly breeding in my filters.
Find out what Sammy uses on his ;)
Thomas