extra extra shroom eats fish read all about it!

reckler

That right. When you thought it was safe to keep a 7" mushroom in your reef with fish, well think again.
Last night my shroom had thanks giving dinner also. I was lokking on everything in the tank and saw a silver/white thing sticking out of the monster mushroom in my tank. I got closer to it and sure enough it was my scooter blenny :happyfish . that shroom had it wraped up like a pig in the blanket. I was pretty bumed cuz it was a good little guy. he alway minded his own business and worked real hard for me to clean the pods out. I am holding services today if anyone would like to attend. donations are welcome to feed his remaining family.

bairly escaping disaster was a sixline wrase,yellow tail damsel, dominoe damsel,royal gramma, cinnimon clown. Everyone seems to be doing fine except the dominoe. I have him under 24 hour suicide watch right now. :scared: If you would like to donate to the scooter fund. send your $500.00 donation to scotter R us @ fish. blah..
A moment of silence please for the lost heros of our tanks!

reckler

this is the bad boy that ate him.
I should have taken a life policy out on him too.
I was thinking that if anyone wanted to get rid of a fish and can't catch him, well I will rent this one out to you to rid the tank of all bad fish.
dirty deeds done dirt cheep! :hilarious

debbie

Originally Posted by reckler
this is the bad boy that ate him.
I should have taken a life policy out on him too.
I was thinking that if anyone wanted to get rid of a fish and can't catch him, well I will rent this one out to you to rid the tank of all bad fish.
dirty deeds done dirt cheep! :hilarious

Hey I have two of those mushrooms in my tank, they were my first mushrooms and I have never had trouble with them. Is this like yours?
Can we find out more about these mushrooms??? Anyone
:thinking:

reefkprz

debbie is that a plastic plant in your reef tank????? GAsp shock dismay... kidding. but really is it?

ninjamini

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
elephant ear and giant cup mushrooms are well known to wrap around and eat fish.
How big before I should start to cut them up? My elephant ear gets about 5" when fully extended.

reckler

I wished I could have gotten a pic of the actual crime in progress but I was so shocked that I completely forgot to grab the camera. My shroom is about 6 to 8" across when fully opened. I have been concidering cutting him down a little. I have heard that mushrooms will eat a fish but I couldn't see how that was possible when they close so slowly. If you think about it though. most preditors move slowely to stalk their prey as to not startel them. That is the only thing I could thing of what happened to him.
The only thing I can really say is if you have large shrooms in your tank, keep your eyes on them..

debbie

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
debbie is that a plastic plant in your reef tank????? GAsp shock dismay... kidding. but really is it?
Yes it is, when I have enough rock in there I will remove it. The fish actually like hiding in it and picking away at it. Hey it adds character I think..... :jumping:

debbie

Originally Posted by Emg
Well....it IS a nice color contrast to that shroom....hehe

I think so too......

stanlalee

Originally Posted by ninjamini
How big before I should start to cut them up? My elephant ear gets about 5" when fully extended.
anytime you want more mushrooms
I have mushrooms that are only about 1" that I've cut in half.