extremly crappy shipping of sun coral

nu2salt

hey guys/gals i need some suggestions on what to do with my suncoral that i recieved ths morning.
i personaly don't think they r gonna survive.
the guy that shipped them put them all in the same bag and shipped in water which is no big deal but for some stupid reason he also filled the bag with newspaper????? so they arrived today overnight from porta rico and the you can imagine the mess that was in that bag. i will post a pic with this post.
i just happened to have 15 gallons of new sw for a water change that i was gonna do today so i got them out and dippped them in the new saltwater to get off all the mushy newspaper and everything and placeed them in my frag tank and within 30 mins. it looks like someone has poured dirt in the tank. luckly there is not anything else in the tank. how if anyway can i tell if they r dead and gonna survive. i am extremlt p---ed that this guy would do that.
i also think that these r wild colonies that he is collecting and shipping.
he also sent me a starfish that was a frebbie i guess it is doing fine in my frag tank i will post a pic of it to to see if someone can idetify what kind it is

nu2salt

yes the skeleton has color but know they r covered in this milky slim looking stuff.r they a gonner?

jerthunter

try to blow some water gently over it to remove anything on the polyps and then wait, many corals are extremely tough and survive alot.

05xrunner

Dip them in a bucket of SW and give them a nice shake..or blast them with the power head to get all the mushy newspaper off and slim off..I do it to my Sun coral when they have something on them and mine are nice and large. I think they should be fine..Just start doing everyday in a container to feed them...let them sit in it with cyclo for 40min a day. around the same time to. get them trained. then once they are open all the way you can feed them 2-3times a week then.
here is mine

nu2salt

put them in front of a power head and blew of the slim and it blew all the color off of them know it looks like i have red and yellow spaghetti all over my tank

jerthunter

I would have to say that is dead then if its flesh came off like that. How was the temperature? I've seen corals melt like that after being too hot or too cold..

rappa

I don't think they will die. Rub off all the crap with your fingers gently in some water. The polyps should be closed and you shouldn't be able to damage them. Mine only come out when I feed the tank or at night so don't be surprised if they dont come out immediately.

nu2salt

tank temp is 80.7 i will leave them in the tank for a couple of days to see what happens when i get some batteries for the cam i will post pics of what they look like to let you guys see them.
i thank you you for all of your help.

05xrunner

well dont think they are dead for a while..it took a week for mine to come out.
Just do the daily container feedings to get them wanting food.

nu2salt

i couldn't figure that out myself. i have only been doing sw for about 6 months but even i know better than that. but anyways.
i have good news for the people that replied and tried to help, unfortunatly(sp??) all the suncoral perished and so did the starfish. but i talked to the guy today and he said he would ship me some more monday free of charge
so at least he is a upstanding guy to replace the coral. they woukd have been beautiful too there where 4 of them and each one had over 50 polyps each so maybe he will send some more like those.
thanks for all the help trying to save them.

knedrag

I cant agree with you on this. Because of poor shipping, 50 plus polyps died. Now, you are going to order more, and he will ship them the same way, with a probable outcome. Maybe you should have asked for your money back, and not used him again.
If he is collecting wild, this is even worse, since he took an animal off the reef, just to kill it in shipping.
We all have an obligation to order only what we can keep alive, research where we get our livestock, and IMO, order tank raised corals if possible.
The longer I stay in this hobby, the more I think we are the reason the reefs are declining.

triga22

Most corals a grown in corl farms. Also alot of people are "planting" new reefs. Just got my Aquarium Fish Magazine today and it was talking about that. They use frags to build new reefs.

nu2salt

I Think The Reason They Died Was Because Of The Newspaper They Were Wrapped In. More Specific The Ink On The Newspaper That Bag Was Nothing But A Black Mushy Mess. And I Asked That He Not Wrap Them In Newspaper This Time. So We Will See What Happens

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by theappe
why would you buy from him again??
he's not "buying" from him again.. he's getting what he payed for.. but what he payed for died, so its getting replaced.. it's like a refund, but in coral..
and lets hope he sends alot of those 50 polyp a piece pieces :joy: