Failed Clown Pairing

louti

I recently attempted to pair two maroon clowns. I bought a large one (~3") and a small one (~1") and added them to the tank at the same time. The large one harassed the small one for the first few days (which, from what I've read, is to be expected). She really didn't attack him that relentlessly, and after 2-3 days she pretty much left him alone. Well, by that time he was a little ruffed up, and he ended up getting sick. He did not pull through, even though I did not see her bothering him at all, day or night. While no fish loss is easy to take, I knew going in that this wasn't guaranteed to work out, and at least I know what happened and do not feel that my other fish are in danger. The female (I'm assuming because of the size) is very healthy. Well, I guess my question is did I go about this the right way? I do want a pair and I think I will try it again. I am going to wait a few months though. Is there anything I should do differently next time?

louti

While I do not claim to be an expert on fish disease by any means, I think it was probably brooklynella. If it was, it definately wasn't as severe as the pictures in Beth's write-up. His fins were pretty ruffed up (just from her biting him I presume). I don't know. Maybe he didn't really have a disease and had just built up mucus coat from wounds?

louti

Seriously, there has to be someone with experience in mating clowns. Will somebody please help me? I am not concerned about the sick clown. He got harassed and stressed out. What I would like to know is if there is a better way to pair clowns than how I did it. I do not want to lose fish unnecessarily if I am going about this incorrectly.

earlybird

What you could do is trade your clown in for store credit and pick up two new clowns. I suggest purchasing clowns from the same tank. Look for two that hang out together. In a tank with tons of baby clowns you would be okay to buy two of the same size and let them determine the sexing as they get older. One will turn female and get larger.
Or you can keep getting smaller clowns and hope that your female approves. This could be costly and time consuming with QT and all.

S

slugkeeper

If you make another attempt, you might want to try keeping the little one in a breeder net/box in the tank with the female for a few days so she can get use to him, but can't reach him. When the little guy is released, make certain you have something available he can fit into and she can't - I have used some little utility storage baskets I bought at Walmart before and it gave him a chance for some relief when she got too aggressive.