fairy wrassee

nicetry

Somewhat species dependent. Reef safe. Diet consists of meaty foods, although most will eat anything. My lineatus eats nori They do well in harems (1 male and 3+ females) if the tank is large enough. Good jumpers and most spook easily so be sure the tank is covered. The ones Ive kept are pretty social and get along with most tankmates.
What are you looking at?

fishfatty

I was looking at a Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, or clown fairy wrasse. Ive never really seen them in peoples tanks, or at the LFS, thats why I was asking for peoples advice.

promisetbg

My favorite is the Rubrimarginatus{pink margin}. Photos do not do them justice. If you can get a supermale they are absolutely gorgeous.Rosy Fin,Flames', Lineatus,Dot dash Flasher, Rhomboids, and Labouti's are also beautiful. If you can find a Scott's from Australia they are also something. They command a high price though...overall the most expensive group of fish. Hope your pockets are deep.

promisetbg

Oh yeah..McCoskey's are another gorgeous fish. GL with whatever you decide...make sure his tankmates are very peaceful.

saltysteve

I had a australian scotts fairey wrasse for 2 days that died. Beutiful fish waiting for supplier to get more in

poniegirl

My LFS Guy directed me to the wrasse to control an unruly bristleworm population. Not only has he succeded in that, but he is one cool fish! NOT territorial, NOT aggressive, NOT a hiding wimp. Super all-around for a community.
He eats everything I offer. Silversides, mysis, brine, (bristleworms!!) and pellet.

dani*s*mom

I have a fairy wrasse and love her. She is a very happy tankmate to my clowns, brittle star and cleaner shrimp. She even breaks up the little arguements the clowns get into sometimes.
Its like she says "hey stop that..." very cute. However, in the last few days I have noticed an infestation of what I think are bristleworms. Some are really long (8 to 10 inches) and some are 2 to 3 inches. I was able to catch a few of them with a net at feeding time. So I am not sure how successful my fairy is at eating those bristleworms. Cool fish though.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by dani*s*mom
I have a fairy wrasse and love her. She is a very happy tankmate to my clowns, brittle star and cleaner shrimp. She even breaks up the little arguements the clowns get into sometimes.
Its like she says "hey stop that..." very cute. However, in the last few days I have noticed an infestation of what I think are bristleworms. Some are really long (8 to 10 inches) and some are 2 to 3 inches. I was able to catch a few of them with a net at feeding time. So I am not sure how successful my fairy is at eating those bristleworms. Cool fish though.
The wrasse will eat small worms and help control the spread, IMO. The larger ones, IDK how to get rid of and fortunately haven't had a problem with. They come out when I feed and go back into the rock. Garbage disposals.
In the wild, our fish would have to search and search for food. A small bristle worm is appealing to a hungry wrasse, though not a worm as big as he/she is.