fake coral/decorations

dcoyle11

this should be a real fun question for this group, Do any of you use fake coral in your tank for decoration? please do not kill me i am just asking? :notsure:

sly

I had fake coral but have slowly taken it out except for a piece or two and replaced them with live rock.

julie853

I have one fake rubber anemone that i keep in my tank for my maroon clown he would be devastated if I got rid of it.He dosn't even like for my hand to get very close to it when I am cleaning the tank.

dueces

no way...well in the beginning I had one but the salt did a number to it for some reason..good poll

66chuck

Got a few small pieces worked in w/ the live rock. Is now the same color as the live rock and has some growth attached to it. Blends in well, doesn't look fake. Key is to use very little and not place it alone or right out front. It needs to blend in to look natural.

billyg

I,ve got over $5000.00 of coral for my 150,table coral,blueridge,purple & pink & some huge pieces of cup coral.I change them out about every month mix em up gives the fish new suroundings ***) :happyfish

fishkid2

i only have one fake coal with branches. The only reason i im keeping it is because it;s a place where my flame hawk likes to perch.

demartini

I would be interested in seeing pictures of tanks with fake corals... the fake sun coral at my LFS doesn't look that bad... plus it is always open! lol

30-xtra high

i can't stand fake corals... they look like crap, and it takes away from the... realness of the tank, and my lfs keeps fake corals in their tanks, and 1 tank with all real corals, and there really is no comparison., and i have a couple dead corals on my sand bed, my coral banded shrimp loves cleaning them.

66chuck

I don't believe the question was whether there was a comparison between live corals and fake. I have a FOLR tank and the "crap" fake coral is merely to add to my live rock. Thus far I've received no complaints about the asthetics of my tank from anyone who has viewed it.

ophiura

It is personal preference. I don't personally care for it myself, but there is no doubt it works well in some applications. It is also easy to clean. So if I had a large FO system, I would possibly consider it.

dcoyle11

Thank you all for the responses...keep them coming.. I have just started out. I have two pieces of dead "real coral" that I had when I was a kid so I guess that will turn into live rock some time.. Other then that I have the dreaded fake stuff that some of you speak of. I am going to buy some white dead rock/coral pieces at a $1.29 a lb at the lfs and build a reef wall and place some fake colorful pieces in between. I will try to take a picture when it’s done.

eaglewonj

If we mean "reef bones" as in the once real now dead cheap as dirt at the fish store, then absolutely yes. I have it in my tank along with some live rock, given time the reef bones should liven up as well. Now if we mean the plastic rubber stuff, then as a general rule....no, however when i was at the lfs they have this new selection of absolutely fantastic fake stuff. I picked it up, went to the reef section and sure enough perfect match for the real thing in the tank....so in that case, yeah maybe gives some color (but i have red and blue reef bones so i don't need it.)