Falco Hawkfish in Denver

jonthefb

hey jager, where at in denver do you do your fish shopping? i live up in greeley and am always down in denver looking for cool stuff and suggestions?
jon

I'm relatively new to the hobby but have been trying to find a decent store here in Denver. I'm in the Westminster area and all the lfs's in that area aren't very good. Extremely poor service, dead fish in all the tanks....small dark, crowded, hole in the wall stores. I probably shouldn't mention there names here.
On the other hand, just last night I was talking with a guy who is really into the hobby. He posted a board talking about his 1650 gallon shark tank he's building. Anyways, his favorite stores are Great Barrier Reef and Oceans Apart. I'm going to go check them out some time this week. They're supposed to have huge selections, average prices, and great service. The only bad thing is they're both located way down south, one is on Arapahoe and the other is around Sante Fe and Oxford.....which would be an especially long trip for you.
Hope this helps.

jonthefb

ive been to oceans apart, and yeah they have a nice store, but the whole time my gfand i were in there not a single employee asked us if we needed any help. i was pretty disappointed. they had nice stuff, but seemed way overpriced (well i work at a lfs here in greeley so i kinda have an idea as to what things should be priced as) and that whole service thing really bothered me. ive never been to great barrier reef, where on arapahoe is it? the only one i know of and know well is reef gallery off of arapahoe, unless they changed names. the owner there was kinda dorky and seemed like he knows what hes talking about, but the previous owners were much better. i did go to one place in broomfield/westminster called liquid kingdom. ever been there? man if your ever in greeley (but who is right) stop by animal attraction. im form pueblo originally and going to college in greeley and have been to lfs's up and down the front range, and i think the one i am working at now is one of the best in the state. ft collins has a couple nice ones too, but im byast. what size tank ya got?
good luck
jon

mahoney

I am going to school in greeley and Animal Attraction is a nice place to go. Best place around, very clean and great service.

Actually, Great Barrier Reef is on Oxford Ave at Sante Fe. They advertise themselves as the largest fish store in Denver. I'm going to try to check them out this weekend. I don't really ever buy anything but I really like to look at the animals.
Where exactly is Liquid Kingdom? I'd like to check that out since it's probably close to me.
I have a 55 gallon tank. I actually got it a couple of months ago. I got lucky and found someone who was trying to get rid of their tank so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. It came with a yellow tang, falco hawkfish, and a lunar wrasse. I got rid of the wrasse because I really want to get an invert package and from what I heard the wrasse will eat just about anything that can fit in its mouth. Apart from an algae bloom problem everythings been great. I really like the hobby! What size tank do you have?

samwise

I have shopped at eah Great Barrier Reef and Reef Gallery. I thought that the advice provided when I was able to get any in either store was poor. I also thought that each store was overpriced and the health of the marine fish was questionable. I had owned a 75 gallon marine aquarium for ten years prior to relocating to Denver. I have had some fairly significant experience with marine tanks. Anyways, I stumbled upon a business named Sherman Tank Company. They are located at 7296 Federal Boulevard, Westminster, CO. The shop is always busy. Inventory turns over very quickly due to high sales. All of the employees are extremely helpful and knowledgeble. If one of the employees specializes in fresh water and you ask a question about marine that they are unable to answer, they will not provide a ration of nonsense, they will get one of their co-workers knowledgeble in marine to help you or get the answer for you. If you walk through the store and one of the employees is available, in other words, they are not busy with other customers they will ask if they can help you. The likelihood that they are not with another customer is slim, so you will probably have to go to the front of the store and wait in a short line, usually no greater than three customers deep, and ask for some help. Again, this is only because they are that busy. Lastly, they do have the best prices on aquariums supplies, food and fish that I have come across in the Denver vicinity. I have purchased a complete 125 gallon marine set up including fish from them. Currently living in my tank is a Dragon Wrasse, Yellow Tang, Majestic Angel and a Mooray Eel. All purchased at Sherman Tank.

O.K. I was at a local fish store today and I guess that the Falco Hawkfish is also called a Spotted Hawkfish. On top of that the fish store was selling them for $30. I overestimated what I thought the little guy was worth. So would anyone like him for $20?

jonthefb

jager, and samwise, nice to meet soem fellow colorado reefers here!. i too frequent reef gallery, but feel that the quality service and selection has taken a drastic turn for the worse afte rthe business has changed owners. i think this is the thrid one in three years or somethign.
jager, liquid kingdom is on 6470 W 120 Av BROOMFIELD, CO right across from the broomfield home depot. nice selection but when i saw all the flatworms in one of their reef tnaks, and the fact that theh owner felt they were harmless, i was worried.
if either of you are ever up north, come check us out in greeley, i think we have a great selection of fish/inverts, both fresh and salt, and a great selection of unusual reptiles! good stuff!
btw, i have onlly a 20 gallon here while im at college, but back in pueblo i have a 135 reef set up that i hardley ever get to see, along with my parents!
good luck
jon

Let's try $15 for the Falco!! $15 for the Falco....going once.....going twice........
That's about what the lfs will give me for him.