Fallen Comrades - Tank Crashes

I

irenicus

I did a water change last night and turned all my equipment on and went to bed. Upon a quick glance, everything seemed to be working fine. This was at 8:00 PM
When I woke up this morning at 5:30 AM I glaced at my tank to notice that all my fish were lifeless.
Paniced, I ran to my tank to notice the pump in the sump for the return had not started up (Mag 7). I check the power and everything was ok, I shaked the pump and it started again.
Upon removing the dead bodies I notices the eel was alive and well and my picasso trigger was holding on for dear life, i doubt he'll make it.
Now I sit at work, in shock and numb, thoughts of my fish flashing through my head. No doubt they died of Suffication, due to the pump not bringing fresh water.
I lost my Pork Puffer, DF Puffer, Voilatan Lion, Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, and Halequin Tusk. Probably my picasso too.
I have had multiple fish losses before in my aquaria "career" but my fish had such character and charm. It was truly a huge loss for me. They will always be remembered fondly in my heart, they were always a source of happiness and light. Upon their passing today, i'm very sad and depressed.
Has anyone else had such bad crashes with their tank. Did this cause them to leave the hobby? How did the get back in the "saddle".
Sorry for the long post, I just had to vent. Thanks!

pattycake

I can only feel for your lose. No, I have not had a tank crash for I have only had my SW55 up and running for 6 weeks. But I can tell you I have 2 clowns and this may be silly but I have named them! You are right they do have their own personalities and I can see how easy it is to get attached. All I can tell you is it is obvious that you have been doing this for a long time and because this has upset you so much shows that you are a great "fish parent". DONT stop! I can tell you one thing I bet you check that pump next time!! Keep it up! GOOD LUCK!:happyfish

larrynews

i had an almost complete wipe out due to ich...i caught it to late..powder blue never seemed to get rid of it and everyone got it except the cheaper fish.....but everything is back and working again....the only reason i almost got out of it was my wife...she said i hope this doesnt happen again....my only respone was me too!!!

T

tizzo

I guess to some of us, our fish are our "pets" not just a moving decoration. I am sorry to hear of your loss, I do hope you stock you tank full again though. There are to many careless fish owners, and who knows what future you will prevent for another fish by buying it!!! Good luck!!

drkdweller

I know the feeling i had a crash two thanksgivings ago.
I went out of town for 3 days only to come back to a green tank
with every thing dead but one damels(now named lucky)
I had bought a fish a week before i left who wasnt eating, well a couple days before i left he started to eat, but i guess it was a little to late. He must have died the day i left, the tank sitter( 80 yr old lady) came in the next day and fed the fish said they were fine probly didnt notice him dead. Came back and

i threw the damsel in my 20. took me 6 month to start that tank back up and went and got new filter system, and recured the lR. Most ppl where like sorry you lost all that money, but i didnt mind that at all. It felt like my dog just got ran over.
MOst people who arent in the hobby or people who just replace fish when they die dont get it.
*moment of silence*

I

irenicus

You're right. A lot of people do not understand.
It feels just like a dog or cat that I have had for a long time just died in some freak accident.
I've just felt nauceous all day.

vickicj

I feel for you! I'm so sorry - I really truly love each of my fish, even my cleaner shrimp! Both he & my clown eat from my hand, so I know they love me too :) My husband makes fun of me, but I too have named each one, and talk to them like they can understand (I think they do!)...I'm sure this won't make you quit the hobby, sounds like you're quite passionate about the 'hobby'...just know that there are lots of folks just like you who are empathizing with you right now - I know that I'd feel terribly devastated...

footbag

Sorry to hear about the loss. I didn't think that 9 hours without the return pump would kill the fish. Just bad luck.

ags

I didn't think that 9 hours without the return pump would kill the fish.
That is the first thing that came to mind as well. This summer alone I have weathered 4 hurricanes and multiple power outages, some lasting longer than 9 hours, and have yet to lose any livestock.
Are you sure something else did not kill your fish?

areijin

Not with the losses but when I just got started buying an ---- auction I had a kid from my LFS help me set up. On the return pump he "connected" it by putting the tube into the inside so that the water was always working against it. So as would happen the tude came out and made an Old Faithful out of my returen pump. Under the presser the walls in my sump failed and my 30 Gallon ( that I keep very full since it has my refegium) tank was game to my apartment floor.
So after two weeks of the Hoddy I had to move my whole 75G again to that I might clean the carpet, walls, and replace the padding of 30G and not have my landloard know of it. Yeah. Think of buying a gallon of milk and pooring it on your floor. Then go to the store and buy another 29 gallons and do the same. A large and frightening mess to wake up to.
I feel your pain. I know what it feels like to wake and not hear the usual sound that a tank makes and relize somethiung is not right.
I was lucky not too lose as much live stock; only one fish in all. You mighty have scares when something sounds wrong but it most likely is in your head. FYI my tank is doing well a few months later and I hope it stays that way. You'll do fine and

areijin

Originally posted by larrynews
....the only reason i almost got out of it was my wife...she said i hope this doesnt happen again....my only respone was me too!!!

My girlfriend sad the same thing and I sad "me too". common theam.

I

irenicus

Thanks everyone for your support. It really helps.
There were no powerheads running etc, so the water was just setting, no movement or surfice aggitation whatsoever. My fish were on the larger side so the oxygen went fasting I'm assuming.
As for water parameters, nothing changed from the day before, pretty much 0's and Spec. Gravity of 1.023, PH 8.4. Nothing has changed there. Temp was still 79 Degrees.
They weren't poisoned or electricuted.
When I returned from work, my Picasso has started to swim around.
This makes me believe it was the lack of oxygen as a result of the pump failure that caused the mass deaths.
My tank was at livestock compacity, which I would assume drastically reduced a the time the tank can go without replenishment of oxygen.

I

irenicus

My next tank I am going to add in some redundant elements (perhaps dual pumps)...
As for leaving the hobby... the devil himself couldn't keep me away from it. I love fish too much to leave.

squidd

My tank was at livestock compacity, which I would assume drastically reduced a the time the tank can go without replenishment of oxygen.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I had "read" it...
I have about the same number and type of fish you listed and they're in a 210...Been with out power for up to 14 hrs (have generator now) and not lost a fish, even with temp drop...
That many fish can suck a lot of oxygen out of the tank in a hurry...
That's the biggest reason your "minnows" die in the bucket when your out fishing...
The other thing it "might" have been is the WC water...was it mixed, aerated, and heated 24 hrs prior to the change...?

areijin

I bet it was a co combination so too many fish (hence using the oxygen quickly) and the water change. Not that the water was bad or not mixed, but it wasn't aeroted very well. I'm sure it didn't have a lot of time to go through you Protein Skimmer aND BECOME OXYGENATED. So they started with 20% less assuming that is how much you changed.
Anyway I'm happy to hear your one guy is ok and you'll stay in the hobby.

golfish

Irenicus,
I'm sorry for your loss but its doesn't surprise seeing how it was a Mag pump that failed. I have to swap out my Mag 12 with a clean one every two weeks or it will freeze up if the power is cut..IMO, these are the worst pumps made, even worse then RIO's....