false purc clown

tiffbritty

i have had a false purc clown for about 4 months now. he is the only clown in the tank. is it to late to get another false purc or would they fight ?:)

pufferfreak

I would think that if the one you have is tank raised and if the one you get is bigger and also tank raised you should have no problem. But there is always a possibility, but with your size tank, you shouldn't.

slick

You could try rearanging your rock and then adding the other clown. This will make the first clown think it's in a different tank.

tangtang

Hi!
I've heard that you should add a significantly smaller clown as the second one. This way they will settle in together better. Hopefully, your first one is a female! <smile>
Linda

tigershark

Phil from what I understand a true perc might have a little bit brighter orange color. They usually have thicker black lines and sometimes have black on other parts of the body too. There is some difference with the number of fins too but I dont remember what. The false perc will usually have very thin black lines and the rest of the body will be white and orange.

fishtails

I've had no problems, thev'e been together for 4 months now. They've also paired. Get a smaller one,btw.

cjburden

Originally posted by Phil1964
I feel like letting my ignorance show.
What is the dif between a false and true perc?

actually tiger, I think they have the same number of fins. however the coloration is the noticable difference. in a book I read (conscientious marine aquarist) the author stated that many experts actually believe the are exactly the same fish with different colorations since they are so much the same.

tigershark

I guess I meant the dorsal spines, not the fins...
"The difference is in the number of dorsal spines (11 for A. ocellaris, and 10 or 9 for A. percula), the anterior part of the dorsal fins is taller in A. ocellaris"
From another online resource.