Fan temp controller

helpme74

I have a Sunlight Supply Air King 6in Clip on Fan 110 volt and I would like to hook it up to a temp controller so when my temp in my tank is at 78 it will turn off and any higher it will turn back on. Does anybody know if they make anything that can do this or how to build one?
Thanks

scsinet

You should be able to use an ordinary temperature controller for a chiller to do this.
Medusa and Ranco are the two brands I know of. Expect to pay about 100-200 for the unit. There may very well be cheaper solutions out there.
Are you electronically inclined? Do you know how to work with relays, transistors, and op-amps? If so, then you should be able to build one fairly easily by poking around online and finding an electronic thermostat schematic... just waterproof the probe.

wingnut sr

Do you have a friend who does air conditioning work? If so, he should be able to get you a relatively inexpensive temperature controler that will work. White Rodgers, Honeywell are just a couple of brands and can be had at places like Grainger, Johnstone Supply, Barnett, just to name a couple. I did this to my in-hood fan. Works great.

wingnut sr

You can get them with what is called a remote sensing bulb. The controler will have a cappilary tube coming from it with a sensing bulb at the end of it. So, you can mount the controller and wiring connections in a dry location, and have the sensing bulb in the water. One thing though, you will want to coat the bulb and the part of the cap tube with clear silicone caulk, as it is made of copper.

wingnut sr

No pic at the moment of it. I am curently working away from home again. But I will get a pic posted for ya. I expect to be home Thursday evening. If you like, I can also show pics of how it is wired up, and explain the wiring to you.