Fans Fans Fans Fans Fans Fans

binhzino

I most got liverock in my tank but I have yellow polyps and xenias, is there a need for a tank at this time? if so, where should i buy a good cheap fan at? walmart? what dept? and where should i place the fans? :confused:

airforceb2

I don't think anyone understands your question you are asking. Is your tank getting too hot and you are asking about fans for cooling it down?

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by Binhzino
I'm asking about fans for cooling it down
What I would suggest is to get one of those clip on fans and let it blow over the surface of the water. This will lower the temp probably a couple degrees.

airforceb2

Also, make sure you have a powerhead aimed towards the surface causing ripples. The fan will be about $10 and it will work wonders. What is your temp at?

whaler

I'm asking about fans for cooling it down
Oh.
The clip fans work well. I bought a pair of them from Home Depot for $6.99 each. I removed the clips and screwed the swivel assemblies into the cieling of my canopy (taller as it's made for halides). The fans blow across the lights to evacuate the heat out the open back of the canopy.
The evaporative cooling is even better, but you'll need to stay on top of your water level...

murph145

if u want your fan system to look a lil more cleaner....
u can buy some small 3" computer fans from best buy or radio shack for a round $10 each then cut out a hole in your canopy...
i have one on each end ... one blows outside air in the other sucks the warm air out.... works great....!!!! i have 470 Watts of PC over my 100G and tank stays right at 80 all day/..... i have them timed to come on when my morning lights come on then go out at night .... i then installed an auto top off system to keep the evaporated water replinished as its needed a sensor activated a small powerhead located in a fresh water resevoir and fills the tank like that .... works great for me :D
heres a pic of one side of my canopy showing the fan...
2nd is of the top off system controller...

murph145

hummm....
u know i cant recall what the brand was .... but they only had 2 different kinds at best buy either one would work just fine... i just got some cool clear looking 3" computer fans that i hooked up to an old d/c adapter that i had lying around and plugged them into my light timer...
i cut the wholes in the canopy using a template of the fan size stenciled it onto the canopy ... then i used a dremmel like tool that had a serated saw blade it vibrates at a high speed... ( some tool my pops bought for work) just followed the stensile outlining and cut the whole out.... inserted the fans and wala!!!
wasnt too hard but luckily my canopy is made of press board a lil easier to cut than solid wood....
:happy:

maeistero

I most got liverock in my tank but I have yellow polyps and xenias, is there a need for a tank at this time? if so, where should i buy a good cheap fan at? walmart? what dept? and where should i place the fans? :confused:
there is a need for a tank if you have live rock, i'd say keep the one you got most your lr in now.
nothings cheap in sw, including fans. some people might have success with computer fans, but many many many many don't due to humidity that close to the tank. do a search on the forum and you'll see. walmart fans actually do work for awhile, but look a bit tacky unless you're lucky enough to build a wall tank (good luck with a wife).
finally, don't place any fans in the tank. this may cause electrocution and possibly death to fish. i recommend above the tank. aiming it at the glass may not lower the temp for a couple years and a degree or so.
:hilarious

binhzino

I'm sorry...I MADE A TYPO
I most got liverock in my tank but I have yellow polyps and xenias, is there a need for a tank (FAN) at this time? if so, where should i buy a good cheap fan at? walmart? what dept? and where should i place the fans?