fans for canopy?

mujtba

hi,
anyone know where i can get fans to add to my canopy?
also, how would i plug it up.. i dont think they are 110V fans... :notsure:

txtwstr

I got two fans both 110v at my local pet store. You can also get them at electronics stores. They plug in like any other 110v item. I have mine set to when I turn my lights out the fans go off too. It is suppose to be bad to runn the fans accross light path so I faced mine blowing out away from lights on each corner and one on my pump. Now I have great temp control.

masala4080

If you go to the famous auction site, they have some good ones. I recently just purchased 4, 4" Temp. controlled IceCaps for my 800w cannoy. i havnt instaled them and dont even have the canopy made so im not sure how they work, but I heard they are pretty good. I will have 2 blowing down from the top and 1 blowing in on each side, near the water surface. Definitly check ot that famous auction site though. They usually have everything for a cheap price. Good luck!

thegrog

I think that auction site has lots of good fans. The ones by Icecap that are temp controlled work great. They don't blow unnecessary air when the lights are off so they gather less dust.

acrylic51

Hey Masalsa let us know how the IceCaps are!!!! I've been eyeing them for my new setup.... Why is it bad to blow air across the light path???? I usually set them up so some blow in and others pull out

masala4080

Hey Masalsa let us know how the IceCaps are!!!! I've been eyeing them for my new setup.... Why is it bad to blow air across the light path???? I usually set them up so some blow in and others pull out

It might take a while to give you the feedback. I dont plan on putting water and starting everything for a couple weeks. I just built the frame of my canopy today and probably wont finish up till next week. School + work = no free time. As far as light positioning.. I am going to have 2 blowing down at the water, either 1 blowing in from each side, or one blowing in and one blowing out. Still not sure yet.
I believe I heard that it will screw up spectrum colors. Not very sure how bad it is affected though. If someone knows, please chime in.
Ill definitly keep you posted

thegrog

It won't affect the spectrum colors......it least not directly. What it will do is blow dust and microparticles of salt/water in front of the bulb and potentially on the bulb. This will diminish the output of the bulb and even shorten it's life.
I would recommend having two fans, one at each end, blowing air OUT of the canopy. Have an intake with a sponge-like filter at the back center for air intake.
If you want 3 fans, put a third either in the back center or at the top center blowing out. The top option would be optimal as heat rises.
For each fan blowing air out, you will need ideally twice the area of the fan for intake because of pressure-flow differences. For example, a 3" fan has roughly 9 square inches of area (can't remember high school geometry in the morning) so you will need around 18 square inches of intake (a 3x6" intake). This is usually not a problem for most hood designs that I have seen.
Good luck!
GO ILLINI!!!!!!!:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

masala4080

What if I have 4, 4". The canopy will have an open back as well. So you think maybe the top and one of the sides blowing out. And another one on the top or back and one on the side blowing in? Will the open back eliminate the pressure problem?