FAQ Purchasing Live Rock

kirksey05

cool thanks. Do you know why I can't start a thread? Everytime I try it says please wait and that never goes away.

drewsbrews

I get the same thing. At the bottom left of IE it says "error on page". I'm thinking I need to upgrade IE, or use a different browser.

lucky2bebc

Hmm Im not getting an error it just says please wait while i post. I have tried safari and Firefox.. I guess im going to try with a PC

drewsbrews

I had 100lb uncured rock come in. Took me 4.5hrs to clean it all. I've got it in a rubbermade tub with my mag7 for circulation. Has been about 6 days sofar and I did a roughly 20% water change a few days ago. I have another batch of water mixingwarming today to go in. My concern at this point is there isn't all that much water in the tub. The rock isn't exactly loosely laying in there and the water is only about an inch above it. Is it dangerous for the stuff still alive in the rock to have this high of a rock to water ratio while curing.. even with the frequent changes?
I'd have it in the tank but I'm moving in a couple days.
Using Distilled RO jug water from the store.

drewsbrews

Well I picked up a Red Sea Marine test kit from my LFS and tried it out Thursday before I moved the rock to the appartment. Here are the results (first time using a kit like this)...
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: <.25ppm (still a light hint of green)
Nitrites: ~.2ppm
Nitrates: 50+ppm. (maxxed the low range test)
The smell in the room had gone away, so it looks like things are moving along. I mixed up a new saline batch in another bin, adding a bit of the old water, and moved the rock over to it. There are still some squishy bits I noticed hanging off while handling the rock, so I guess I'll haveto clean them again before finally moving it to the tank. I Hope to have the plumbing sorted out by the weekend so I'm ready whenever the rock is.
Planning on putting some egg crate down between the rock and tank bottom, to prevent any point loading on the glass and I'd imagine the rocks will grip the plastic better. I hear elevating the rocks may be better but that sounds like a real pain to properly implement and not impact the natural look. Plus from what I read most "live sand" isn't so much, at least by the time it's in your hands. I'd imagine the rock touching the sand would help re-seed it.