Fatal Zoa Toxin?? And Mine

fox1135

Okay i have never heard this before but i read on some web site that if zoas are attacked or torn they release a toxin that is fatal to humans if entered through the blood stream or ingested, even in small doses. I have never been told this by anyone no lfs or ever on this site. but hearing it kinda scares me because i actually did touch one of my zoas the other day... so if anyone knows anything about this is would be great hearing
Also I have been having trouble recently with my algae problem as some of you might know. Well in the situation with my kenya evrything is good. i raised the specific gravity a little bit and now it looks awesome. Well ever since my tree had algae on it my Zoas did aswell. im using phosban currently and having done a test tonight i had a ph and ammonia test done withing the last week and it was 8.3-8.4 and ammonia 0
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
phospher 0
so whats the deal with my zoas. theyre always closed and i cant find a reason why. theyre not in high flow, medium to low. and my tests check out.
I Really need help.

swnewb562

its called 'paytoxin' i started a thread on this topic a few days ago under the zoa forum, their is a link posted by a member with good info on this stuff. your fine, they release the toxin when the are fragged. i believe the symtoms are almost instant. iam no expert, iam sure others will chime in on this topic.

michaeltx

th etoxins can cause numbness and tingling feeling for the low end and as drastic as breathing and other problems depending on how allergic oyu are.
a basic rule of thumb on them is frag them with gloves and goggles and wash hands and anything that you touch dispose of the gloves.
If you are allergic to bee stings then be even that more cautious its not the same thing but it seems that people that are allergic to bees are more susptable to other toxins and venoms.
as far as your zoas there could be a lot of things going on from parasites and funguses to bad location to even fish picking on them. some more info is needed to be able to help you out more though. also check out the zoanthid forum and the stickies for more information.
Mike

stanlalee

palytoxin is short for polythoa toxins that come from polythoa polyps aka button polyps (aka the big ones). who has sources or info that common zoanthids besides palythoa's have palytoxins? not all button polyps produce toxins. I wouldn't be overly worried about common zoanthids.

perfectdark

On a side note, if your fragging project has you running around and leaving some of your zoa's unattended. Be careful of any pets that may investigate. I have heard that there have been some instances where the family dog has sampled a few polyps and it proved to be fatal to him. I dont have first hand knowledge of this information only a story that I have been told. Who knows it may have only been, a story. Just FYI.

nvsbandit

i was poisoned once. im an idiot and was moving all my stuff around bit my nail and it began. in about an hour my temperature went from 98 to 102.5 i was throwing up and couldnt lift myself off the floor. i drank a TON of water with help from some friends i called over to help me. lasted about 12 hours and just cleared up broke my fever and i felt alot better.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2767341
palytoxin is short for polythoa toxins that come from polythoa polyps aka button polyps (aka the big ones). who has sources or info that common zoanthids besides palythoa's have palytoxins? not all button polyps produce toxins. I wouldn't be overly worried about common zoanthids.
it is true that some do not produce this toxin but to be safe treat ALL zoas as though they do to be safe. Its just a precaution there are way to many different types of zoas and they are morphing all the time to say only this one or that one produce the toxin.
Mike

If your going to frag zoas or palys do it in the water, with gloves and wash your hands after. Zoas can shot that stuff at you as well, so if there in the water that cuts down on that problem.

socal57che

Indigenous peoples of the south pacific would mash up palys and dip their spearpoints in it. Even a scrape could cause sickness or death.

snakeblitz33

zoas and protopalythoas have some amount of toxin in their bodies. I have also heard of them being fatal to humans. While I don't have first hand experience with this, that doesn't mean that I am not going to take every precaution necessary to protect me and the people around me.
(also be careful of certain mushrooms.)