fave brand of salt?

bigskyreef

IMO a ten gal would make a nice fuge for you. It's enough room to grow some cheato and pods. Some people go with just the small hang on ones and notice improvement, so 10 gal should work well.

reefforbrains

Instant Ocean regular. IO reef crystals have better Iodine, strontium, and cal but dont dissolve as good for my liking.

puffer32

I have tried the more expensive salts over the yrs and always come back to Kent. Its a good salt with added trace elements that help keep my calc, alk etc stable, the brands that say added calc never raise my calc like they say they will.

teen

i usually use natural sea water (a lot easier than mixing salt), but if your not near an ocean ive hear good things about reef crystals and tropic marine.
depends on your set up as well. if it a fish only, then instant ocean is fine. if its a reef, reef crystals or TM may be a better choice.

kroch3rd

i have read a lot of posts about this and i have come to a conclusion that reef crystals and tropic marin are the most relaible and good. Tropic marin has higher calcium than reef crystals. Salts like Kent and Oceanic seem to be good but sometimes people have very high calcium with them. like 500+ppm.
im using regular io and am going to switch tropic marin when i run out. hope that helps

sepulatian

I used to use Instant Ocean. I switched to oceanic because the Instant Ocean turns into a rock if there is any humidity. Oceanic does not. I used to have to chisel and scrape the heck out of my IO all summer long. Both gave me dead on readings for PH though.

C

cmaxwell39

I use reef crystals. Have been really happy with all my reading with it. Am helping a friend get into salt. They bought an established 55. The guy was using Oceanic. So far the ph and alk have been really low and the calcium has been really high. Am going to test a batch of freshly mixed Oceanic this weekend and will report on the results.

reefkprz

I use reef crystals at 35$ for 160 gal mix you cant go worng. I have never expitrienced the non dissolve people mention, Its always dissolved after 12 hours.

puffer32

Originally Posted by kroch3rd
i have read a lot of posts about this and i have come to a conclusion that reef crystals and tropic marin are the most relaible and good. Tropic marin has higher calcium than reef crystals. Salts like Kent and Oceanic seem to be good but sometimes people have very high calcium with them. like 500+ppm.
im using regular io and am going to switch tropic marin when i run out. hope that helps
Since i have a hard time getting my calc up past 360, kent is ideal for me, and cheaper. Kent keeps my calc at around 400.