favorite fish

finally

Shrimpi,
I love the mandarin and actually bought one. I saw it the first day in my tank, then gone...I have a purple carpet anemone and I think that it ate the poor thing. How can I keep one in my tank and how big do they get? I really want one. How do you feed it since it eats such small food?
Thanks...my votes for you!!!!

jazzyz

Originally Posted by DragonZim
From a personality perspective my absolute favorite is my Lawnmower Blenny. He is the king of my tank and always puts on a little performance when I go near the tank!
yeah i had an orange spotted lawnmower, real cool personality. think my green brittle ate him. i think the mandarins get a couple inches long and eat pods n stuff.

reefer545

Originally Posted by jazzyz
they r in a 125 for now but they r goin into a 330g 6 x 3 x 3. is that big enough that they will be ok? also, the true percs are obviously the dominant pair but they leave the b & w's alone. are you sayingn when the b & w have a dominant pair they will kill the other 2? nice fish everyone
They should be just fine in the 125 adn definitely in the 330. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ENOUGH LR for territorial issues. Also, multiple hosts will greatly improve chances. I wouldn't worry about it. Nice tank

jazzyz

yea i have 200 lbs of live rock now and will up that once they get to the new tank. i have three anemones right now but it seems like they all prefer one at a time and switch all at the same time. so far there seems to be peace, just some posturing

shrimpi

Originally Posted by Anonome
Shrimpi, great pics of the mandarin. They are my favorite too, I have a green spotted....such a cute fish.
Quick question, is that a green feather duster? Awesome! Hard to find anything other than the norm around here. Did you buy it at a lfs or online?

it was from a lfs, got it for like 6 bucks I think. (featherduster)
dshin1 shrimpi how do u keep ur sand bed so clean?
my diamond goby is an animal. he tears the crap out of anything that lands on the sand.
here he is

finally Shrimpi,
I love the mandarin and actually bought one. I saw it the first day in my tank, then gone...I have a purple carpet anemone and I think that it ate the poor thing. How can I keep one in my tank and how big do they get? I really want one. How do you feed it since it eats such small food?
Thanks...my votes for you!!!!
mandarins usually top out around 4". They have very specific diet requirements and should be housed in a tank with plenty of pods and live rock to support them. They shouldnt be in a tank with other fish that they will have to compete with for food- because they are slow and not very food aggressive.
Do a search on the boards for mandarins and there will be ALOT of info. They are a complicated fish that most people end up starving them, ultimately leading to the fish's demise.

they are totally awesome though... if you can keep them healthy.

the mandarin and the goby are the ONLY fish in my tank. all the rest are inverts/coral
heres a pic of mr mandarin 'flared up'- its a little fuzzy sorry

xokarmaxo

I'll have to post a pic of my favorite fish, my scooter blenny, "Scooter Pup". He is too precious! Totally acts like a little puppy. I have been extremely lucky to have a scooter blenny that eats frozen food and when I feed my tank, I always put some in a syringe for him and aim it at him and he will literally "stand" straight up and suckle it out of the syringe, and then I'll squirt some into the sandbed for him to eat up before the sixline, midas and percula come to get it! I love all of my fish babies, but my scooter is definately my favorite!