Favorite Shrimp???

1guydude

well id call them small feedings
no flakes huh...hmm idk they love it
i usually test my water like later in the afternoon but the last one was something like this
temp-78-80
sg 1.023-1.024
ph-8.0
amonia- 0 or not detectable
nitrate-0 or not detectable
nitrite- 0 or not detectable
got a standard api saltwater kit
i got these algae pellets but i dont think anyone likes em lol they dont even float like their supposed to dammit
tried the whole turn off the water flow thing but didnt see myy other shrimps, ill give him the rest of the day till i call him disceased.

monsinour

I liked my Fire shrimp when I had him. I have no clue as to why he perrished as I found his body and there wasnt anything wrong with the tank. I just might get another one, have to talk to the missus. Course, it all depends on how Mr. Miniscule does down in the sump. Spotted him again last night and fed him a pellet.

1guydude

good maybe get gim into a feeding habit. Ya fire shrimps r awsome looking, was urs very active and about before it passed?? How bigs ur tank monisour

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/384697/favorite-shrimp/20#post_3372066
good maybe get gim into a feeding habit. Ya fire shrimps r awsome looking, was urs very active and about before it passed?? How bigs ur tank monisour
He was always defending his territory and was really active at feeding time. Most of the time he kept to his cave. We could see into the cave from the front and side of the tank so he was never out of full view. There was some interaction with snails and fish, but mostly it was territory agression. He never caught anything and didnt hurt anything that I am aware of (where did my peppermints go?). As long as things stayed away from him, he was ok. I have a 56 gallon colum style tank with a 16 gallon sump/fuge.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384697/favorite-shrimp/20#post_3372061
I liked my Fire shrimp when I had him. I have no clue as to why he perrished as I found his body and there wasnt anything wrong with the tank. I just might get another one, have to talk to the missus. Course, it all depends on how Mr. Miniscule does down in the sump. Spotted him again last night and fed him a pellet.
They're not super long-lived. If you got it as an adult it may have just died of old age :)

btldreef

Bang Guy, you're back! I was about to send you a PM.
I love my fire shrimp, but he tends to me more of a cave dweller than my Skunks are. Both are great shrimp and will do a great job cleaning. IME, Skunks are more active and are better cleaners, but if you know this going in and just purchase more CUC members, fire shrimp are just fine.

S

saxman

"Missing" peps often have a way of showing up as 2"+ specimens with pretty black telsons when you overhaul/move a setup. Altho it was big and cranky, my CBS lived several years and ended up the size of my hand, not counting antennae. Both it and the peps would come out and sit on my hand, which was odd because CBS will eat smaller shrimp.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/384697/favorite-shrimp/20#post_3372633
"Missing" peps often have a way of showing up as 2"+ specimens with pretty black telsons
when you overhaul/move a setup. Altho it was big and cranky, my CBS lived several years and ended up the size of my hand, not counting antennae. Both it and the peps would come out and sit on my hand, which was odd because CBS will eat smaller shrimp.
What are those things?

monsinour

thanks, now that I know what its called, I dont think i have ever seen one of those as black on any of the pepps I have had. Do they turn black due to what they eat or is it based on age? I know I have had pepps as big or bigger than 2" in my tank.

S

saxman

Yes, the telsons are the "tail fins". IME, all of the L. wurdemanni I've had have black tails upon maturity (you never see adults in the LFS), and they eat appies quite well as long as they aren't too well fed.