favourite shrimp and why!!!

N

nihoa

shrimp are awesome! we loved our cleaner and plan to get another (we are replacing Jimmy the janitor who was gunned down by a hitch-hiking pistol shrimp) and were wondering if there are other shrimp species that are a good size and hang around out in the open. our lfs has a fire/blood shrimp and it seems to hide constantly. they are cool looking but a bit pricey for something youre never gonna see. they have some larger camel shrimp too, looked cool but also seemed a bit skulky. you think this is shop behaviour and they might relax and come out more at home??
anyway, post your favourite shrimps and what you like about them. its cool if you wanna talk about lil guys or hidey fellas but id really like to hear about bigger laid back ones. and whether its true that coral banded can be real arseholes!

N

nihoa

hahah. eating shrimp, or any shellfish for that matter, is so nasty!

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by Nihoa
http:///forum/post/2924408
shrimp are awesome! we loved our cleaner and plan to get another (we are replacing Jimmy the janitor who was gunned down by a hitch-hiking pistol shrimp) and were wondering if there are other shrimp species that are a good size and hang around out in the open. our lfs has a fire/blood shrimp and it seems to hide constantly. they are cool looking but a bit pricey for something youre never gonna see. they have some larger camel shrimp too, looked cool but also seemed a bit skulky. you think this is shop behaviour and they might relax and come out more at home??
anyway, post your favourite shrimps and what you like about them. its cool if you wanna talk about lil guys or hidey fellas but id really like to hear about bigger laid back ones. and whether its true that coral banded can be real arseholes!
i like the coral banded shrimp...long claws and red and white striped body...they can get kind of agressive though...
on the other hand, it all depends on the shrimp wether he decides he is going to be mean or not...i have never had problems with them being agressive...

N

nihoa

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2924474
I like sexy shrimp, very cool little personalities

i want a pair soo bad! we have a twinspot hogfish though and im told when it gets big that it will bother the smaller ornamental shrimp

N

nihoa

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/2924542
i like the coral banded shrimp...long claws and red and white striped body...they can get kind of agressive though...
on the other hand, it all depends on the shrimp wether he decides he is going to be mean or not...i have never had problems with them being agressive...
i hear what youre saying, we have a choc chip star and everyone talks bad about them. our fella is quite well behaved and aside from losing a feather duster to him we havent had any problems.

creekchub

I really like the looks of the fire red shrimp, can't seem to pull the $40 bucks out of my pocket though. I have a cleaner shrimp he's pretty cool to watch, always comes out, does not hide much, I also have 2 camel back shrimp, they don't seem to come out too much.

makoshrk2

I have a cleaner, fire, cb, and a yellow cb, in the same tank. I love to watch the cleaner though. He's always out cleaning my tangs. Every time I put my hand in the tank he jumps right on it and "cleans" it as long as I let him. Quite the personality.

scottallert

i like the look of harlequin shrimp, but i dont like the struct diet thing
the peacock mantis is my favorite by i dont have one.

reef_dart21

I loved my cleaner shrimp, although very common shrimp it had the best personality. Watching the little feelers going why trying to hover through he water as well as eating upside down