feather duster dead?

ron-j

I've had a feather duster in my 65gallon for two months now. I keep phytoplankton in the water for it on a regular basis. However, 5 days ago I found his "head" floating around in the water. Just his head...no other part of his body attached. I know they shed their heads occasionally but how do I know he's not dead. The ammonia is rising and the water is beginning to get cloudy. I did a 20% water change today to try to head off the ammonia. Should I take the feather duster out?

carrie1429

No I wouldn't take it out, they will shed their crowns (heads) when the water conditions are not right and since you said your ammonia was high thats why he shed his crown. It will grow back in about a month. The actual worm in the tube is still there you just can't see it very good but it will regrow its crown.

djpom1

Feather Dusters will shed their crowns when the water quality is not the best, but they will also do this if the water quality is very good. They shed their crowns at the same time they release their sperm for the next generation of dusters.
Dennis

ron-j

thanks for the info! I haven't figured out yet why my ammonia spiked. I did a 20% water change yesterday and it is down from 50ppm to 0ppm. All of the fish made it OK. But my water is still cloudy. I think it actually got worse today. Any suggestions on why?? I have a berlin turbo protein skimmer and a carbon filter but nothing seems to help.

jennlegend

WOW! I just came on here to ask the same exact question!! The head just fell off my duster. I suppose I need to remove the head/feathers from the bottom of my tank?? I haven't tested the water in a few days...I will do that now.