Feather Duster---Live rock or Substrate?

twicklund

Is it better to put a new feather duster in a crevis(sp) on the live rock or in the substrate?
Any info appreciated...Just want to do whats best for the duster...
-Thanks

kris walker

Hi Twicklund,
Welcome to the board! My three *small* tubes came preattached to a flat lr. I put the lr on the substrate several weeks ago. Over the last few days, one of the the scarlet reef hermits I have ate them up. So you might consider putting them in a lr crevass if you can find a suitable one (although this won't protect them completely). Also, a crevass usually gets more current than on the substrate--another reason to put them there.
sam

billyv

Hey there. I would suggest puting it on or in your live rock. I've had good luck placing feather dusters in the holes of my live rock...they live to burrow in and attatch. Good luck.

Mine is on some live rock and is doing very well, the fish store I got mine from had them in the sand so I guess either would be ok.

nm reef

My 3 large ones are varied...one on top...one mid way....other on sand....I've also got numerous smaller ones that just showed up on there own...they are all lower on the reef partially in the sand around a piece of LR....so for me any of the above.......they filter feed and like to attach themselves.......

twicklund

Thanks for all your answers...I can't tell you how nice it is to have a place to ask them, and get answers as fast as you guys responded...
:cool: :cool: :cool:

fish fry

Hey everyone,
While we are on the subject, what are some requirments for feather dusters? Anything unsual.
Tom

kris walker

I've read in "Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook" (R.J. Goldstein) that dusters should be fed every day with nauplii. But I bet they fare just fine with other foods and rates of feeding. I don't think they require any lighting, but they do require adequate calcium (say 400-450ppm Ca++).
sam