Feather Duster lost crown! good/bad???

K

krichardson

so this morning when i woke up i noticed my feather dusters "crown"(i think thats what its called...his gills&such that you actually see that look like a feather duster) was off floating around the bottom of the tank. is this bad? i think i read somewhere that they do that if it gets too big? should i take the old crown out of my tank and throw it away? how long until he gets a new one?

-thanx in advance!

m0nk

It will likely grow a new one, but the question might be why it dropped the crown in the first place. I haven't heard of them getting too big and being dropped, but maybe someone else has. What other inhabitants are in your tank?

jeremyhaas

Your feather duster will regrow a new crown. I believe when they lose their crowns it is a sign of bad water conditions or them being stressed.

K

krichardson

i doubt that any critters in my tank are stressing them out the only thing i can think of is that it might be in a high flow part of my tank and that is stressing it out.

rwlancaster

I had one do that once, it was scary.
After a water test, which made me switch to ro water, sure enough the water wasn't in the best of shape.
it took about a week, maybe a little longer, but he regrew, and actually came back a different color! from brown to white.
neato!