Feather duster lost his crown

lolly1

I have heard that this can happen...but why? Is it stress? What could be stressing him? How do I know if he is still alive???
Thanks,
Beth ***)

renogaw

wait a couple days, it should grow back a new one.
if you see any ammonia take it out.
if in a couple days you can get it out without damaging the tube, smell it.
if you feel like you want to die from the smell the feather duster is dead. its a really NASTY smell

monalisa

Originally Posted by renogaw
wait a couple days, it should grow back a new one.
if you see any ammonia take it out.
if in a couple days you can get it out without damaging the tube, smell it.
if you feel like you want to die from the smell the feather duster is dead. its a really NASTY smell
Great. I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant...that'll be a sure trip to the bathroom!
Thanks, though...I will do that!

lolly1

Originally Posted by MonaLisa

Oops!! I was signed in under my mom, MonaLisa. She's not pregnant; I am!

lolly1

Originally Posted by alyssia
If the worm is still alive you will feel it jump when you gently squeeze it.
Good thought. Thank you.

blazinbruno

I don't have much info on you poor feather duster, but the dive hats a kickin. Where is the best dive spot in WI

lolly1

Originally Posted by Blazinbruno
I don't have much info on you poor feather duster, but the dive hats a kickin. Where is the best dive spot in WI

Hey, thanks! We prefer Devil's Lake, but we also frequent Lake Wazee, Pearl Lake, and the Red Granite Quarry. In Devil's Lake, the small mouth bass take crayfish right out of your hand. It's awesome. Diving is the best hobby ever...second to salwater aquariums, of course.

mandarin w

Did you check the levels in your tank. If the alk or ph is off, that could be one of the causes of stress. How is the nitrates, amonia, ect.
I really hope you are wearing gloves each and every time you put your hands in the tank. Espeacially since you are pregnant. I would really hate to hear that you got sick. Everyone needs to be extra carefully when they put thier hands of the tank, make sure you don't have any scratches, cuts or scrapes. Even a hang nail could get infected. The bacteria in the tank can be very dangerous and cause very ugly, painful skin infections. I am thinking along the lines that your not suppose to change or clean a litterbox when pregnant, sort of the same.
And congrates on the new little frag coming your way.
Wish you the best.

cjason3041

i heard that losing your crown at 7.5 months is bad!!! lol.... congrats
good luck with the duster... i can't keep em alive

lolly1

Originally Posted by cjason3041
i heard that losing your crown at 7.5 months is bad!!! lol.... congrats
good luck with the duster... i can't keep em alive

LOL!
I just did a bit of research and found out that feather dusters usuallly lose their crown when they aren't getting enough food. Who knew?! I read that I should try feeding it liquid coral food. I guess I'll give that a go. All my water levels are where they should be, so I can't figure out why he would lose it stess!!

renogaw

i have never specifically fed mine. they get enough food from scraping the algae off the glass, from food particles the fish don't eat, among other stuff.

lolly1

Originally Posted by renogaw
i have never specifically fed mine. they get enough food from scraping the algae off the glass, from food particles the fish don't eat, among other stuff.
From what I read, they eat phytoplankton...and normally they do filter it from the water...unless there isn't enough in the tank for them; then the tank needs to be supplemented.

hatessushi

Food is just one reason and feather duster will throw its crown. Other reasons are that they don't like where they are at. Dusters don't like it much in the direct light so they will tend to move to the shaded areas. When they move they will usually throw the crown. If something is causing them stress is another reason and they may throw the crown and move.

tigger7652

Strange, my feather duster was puffing out brown stuff. Was told he was spawning. Shortly after he blew his top. I was told that I should have left that piece in the tank that it may have produced a second duster. We did lose the original case but the worm was there. Now we have 2 heads again and he is still a happy camper. I feed a variety of foods in our reef tank. The information I got the featherduster was from
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WWMAdminS...stion_page.htm

xdave

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Or maybe a trip to the freezer to get some ice cream to go with it.

lolly1

Originally Posted by xDave
Or maybe a trip to the freezer to get some ice cream to go with it.

LOL!! Hey, now your talkin'!