Feather duster placement

nanahugs

I want to know where a feather duster should be placed in a tank? Are these hard to care for?
On a side note, is 4 watts per gallon of HO lights enough to keep a flowerpot coral?
Thanks,
~Heidi

jjlittle

Your flower pot should be ok with 4 watts. A feather duster can be place just about any where mine are locate towards bottom to middle in moderate flow just feed pytoplankton 2 X a week

nanahugs

Thanks Little for the quick response. I have a feather duster coming from this site tomorrow, (among other things, lol.) The flowerpot coral I am thinking to get in the future. I am also thinking of getting a sun coral because I love the bright orange color. I'll have to put it on my wishlist.
Thanks again.

jjlittle

the sun coral is a very hard coral to keep I dont recommend 95% end up dieing though they are nice I have tried 2 myself both died

nanahugs

Jlittle, thanks for the advice on the sun coral. I will definately cross that one off my list and think of hardier corals to buy.
My feather duster arrived 2 hours ago. I ordered it from this site. It is now in my tank and the crown is open and it looks beautiful. I am assuming that it will plant it's own foot either in my sand or on my live rock. Right now it is laying on it's side, but fully open. Is there anything else I could do, or let it be? When my hand is near it the crown is then retracted into the tube, which I read is normal. (By the way, Saltwaterfish.com sent the featherduster in a bag not attached to anything, so it must do that itself.)

jjlittle

I t will attach or foot to the sand I placed mine where I wanted them for if in higher flow tank it will float around and may get lost behind a rock.

nanahugs

I still don't know how my feather duster will plant it's foot. It is currently laying on it's side on the sand with its crown of feathers fully open. I have seen it retract it's feathers when a crab gets to near it. The stem is curled and at the bottom I do not see a foot, just the end of a curly stem.
How long will it take for the feather duster to attach to something? Is there anything I can do to help it out? Also, what does the worm in the feather duster eat?
Thanks.

merredeth

Originally Posted by nanahugs
I still don't know how my feather duster will plant it's foot. It is currently laying on it's side on the sand with its crown of feathers fully open. I have seen it retract it's feathers when a crab gets to near it. The stem is curled and at the bottom I do not see a foot, just the end of a curly stem.
How long will it take for the feather duster to attach to something? Is there anything I can do to help it out? Also, what does the worm in the feather duster eat?
Thanks.
Put your duster by some live rock. Most I have worked with seem to like the live rock to attach itself to. Generally, within a few days the duster will start to attach itself well. Make sure that there is lighter water flow around the duster. Think of seeing the crown wave slowly in the water - that is how you want it to be.
I feed my feather dusters phytoplankton every week or so, but from what others told me there should be enough nutrients in your water if you are on top of maintenance. They are fed with an oversized dropper or turkey baster very slowly releasing it with the phytoplankton to just go over the feathers of the duster since this is how absorb nutrients.
Hope that helps you out.
Denise M.