feather duster problem -- help please

daisy

Hi. Well, my tank has been growing and growing for about three years now and is looking amazing, due in great part to all the help I've received from you all. Now I've got a problem that I have no idea how to fix.
I have three of those large feather dusters, and one of them is damaged. Specifically, the bottom third of his tube disintegrated and fell away, and now the top of his tube is falling apart. He can not retract fully, and while he does retract partially when bothered, he doesn't go the whole way in -- probably because he runs out of tube at the bottom.
He is in an exposed, medium-high flow area of the tank. I wanted to move him, considering what I think to be his fragile, vulnerable state, but he is attached at one point to the rock he is leaning against. I am afraid that if I pull him off the rock, what is left of his tube will fall apart completely.
What should I do? Can a feather duster regenerate his tube? Can he survive without his tube? Can I repair it for him? Is there something I can do?
Thanks for your help!
-Daisy

jam marine

hi ,i had a duster that came completly out of his tube,i was confused also if i should try an put it back in his tube or just leave it alone,i deceided to leave it,an can you believe within 3 days it completly built back a new tube,imo with good water quality it should be ok,i would place the worm kinda where u want it to stay,and let nature do the rest:joy:

daisy

As far as putting it where I want it to stay, I don't think I can move it at all without ripping the tube to shreds. If it thinks it wants to stay there (and since it pasted itself to the rock, it must want to stay there?), I am not going to move it -- it is in plain site, and is beautiful -- it's just looking ragged in the tube. The crown is perfect.