feather duster question

fishygurl

yup they molt =) just make sure your water quality is good so it can grow a nice healthy bigger feather

fishygurl

and ive heard they can drop them if they get really scared but i have not experienced that so im not sure.

granny

I just read an excellent article in this months Aquarium Fish magazine about feather dusters.
They usually die in 2-3 months in most tanks due to starvation. Losing the top is in most cases a sign of impending death. the FD needs adequate food to sustain the larger crown, so will shed it and replace it with a smaller one. In the wild, the dusters usually have their heads on the sand as they ingest very tiny particles of food from the sand. They need to be fed FROM THE BOTTOMj, not the top and not into the duster center. The pathway for food is on the bottom of the worm between the casing and the worm itself. Feed a micro food in a dropper placed underneath the crown of the duster against the sand base to keep them healthy.

fishygurl

not sure about them living for only a couple months? that doesnt seem right.. but thats interesting that u should feed them from the bottom thanks for the info!

alyssia

I've never heard that they molt, only that they throw their crowns due to some kind of stress.

candycane

They will drop their crowns due to some kind of stress. Plus watching them move to a new area and form a new tube, is just disgusting. They look like giant brown bristle worms without the bristles. There is different food you can feed them to keep them happy though. I like Tahitian Reef Blend myself.