Feather duster questions

cross

Hi. I recently moved my feather duster into another tank. It lost all it's feathers. Is it dead? I have not seen it come out in days. Just wondering what I should do with the leathery part he was hiding in..Not sure what is going on..Please help.. Thank you.

lobstah

Dont quote me but I believe they can drop thier feathers and they will regrow new ones fairly quick, but im not 100% sure sorry.

cross

Thank you guys..this is good to know. I tried researching on line but there is not much available.

ophiura

They can regrow but it is a sign of stress or at least not being real happy. So it is possible it will regenerate....or not. Were all parameters identical...did you acclimate? be sure water parameters are ideal.

earnit33

I have a pink and white feather duster that my blue devil damsel destroyed and I lost track of the tube,this has been about 3-4 weeks, and yesterday I was inspecting with a magnifiing glass(my eyes are getting bad) and low and behold peaking out from a rock was a pink and white feather duster
so don't give up yet.

cross

Thanks. Last night I seen it peck out alittle so I think it is ok..I just did not want to leave the tube in my tank if it was dead. I will wait to see what happens. Thanks guys.

auntkaren

Yes, they do drop their feathers especially when stressed. They are pretty hardy though and it most likely will rebuild it's tube and grow new feathers. We had a flatworm problem in our tank and I inadvertently pulled the whole tube off a fanworm! It was just

[hr]
and probably really PO'd. It was kept in our HT holding tank overnite with all the snails and inverts. I couldn't find it when we moved the HT contents back to the main tank. About a month later... there he was! Full feathered and happy.
So I guess I'm saying just leave it be and see where it pops up again. It just may take some time.

cross

Ok, thats good to know.. he is still hiding in it's tube.. It has been about a week..I just hope he is ok..

lobstah

My feather duster was destroyed by my foxface, I thought for sure he was done for he lost his whole tube and his feathers went from about 2-3in down to 1/2in but he still sucks himself under a piece of LR when things go near him, IDK but i think these things are pretty tough.

Mine seems it lost all of his feathers, it was full of them yesterday....it comes out tho but its just a skinnier wierd looking tube thing, but no feathers

nano12er

mine dropped its feathers after I moved, total tank break down, and reset, tube stayed, and it grew back smaller feathers 2 weeks later. Now though, the duster and tube are MIA... hopefully it has relocated and will show up somewhere else....