Feather dusters Dead????

zman

I have a feather duster that supposedly threw its top. The opening at the end has closed up and it hasn't come out in longer than a week. Is it dead? How long does it usually take for feather dusters to regrow their feathers? Also do feather dusters throw their top when attacked? you know like some lizards lose their tail?
Zman

clarkiiboi

I just recently had this happen. In my case it was becase of a fish picking continuously at some type of polyp on the tube. So yes, it can happen b/c of being harrased, its stressfull for them. There are also other reasons why they would lose their crown (water conditions, etc.).
I thought mine was a goner b/c I seen previous to this that the worm was about 1/4 inch out of the tube (crown still attached), but after losing the crown I felt the tube and the worm moved in it so I let it be (remove the fish also). Within I believe 2 weeks I saw a new crown--small and still inside the tube. I think its been a month and a half now and new crown is out and getting bigger slowly.
Touch the tube and see if the worm moves IMO, and if so just wait it out. HTH

cprdnick

As Clarkii mentioned, the main cause of losing the fronds are due to stress or water conditions. I've had some stay in the tube without coming out for close to a month after losing these fronds. Some people recommend target feeding while they are in this condition, which makes sense. However, nature designed them to lose these fronds in the wild, so nature probably designed them to survive while they are in this defensive state. Give it about another week or two and then you can worry about it.
If the method of touching it to see if the worm moves inside works, I would go with it, I've never thought about that though.
Clint

clarkiiboi

The only thing I want to add is if you are going to touch it and you feel that it is still there, leave it be---too much "handling" can cause stress also, IMO.

rbmount

Take an eye dropper and spot feed it some phytoplankton or brine shrimp at the hole in it's tube. If it; alive you should see some movement, and after about 7-10 days you should notice some feathers growing back.

zman

i will try the eyedropper and brine shrimp and let you guys know of any improvements. Thanks again!!
Zman

joemack

I thought mine died when I had a mini crash 2 weeks agao. Something POd everything in my tank. Water changes didnt fix it so I added a bunch of carbon and everything got better in 24hrs. My feather duster dumped his crown and it took 2 weeks for him and his new little crown to pop out. Feeding it like other people said sounds good but dont give up hope... it will come around.