feather dusters

reef rockett

I was wondering about anenomes and feather dusters. We needed to strongly treat are tank with coppersafe, so we removed the things that were affected by the medicine. The treatment has been going on a few weeks now, and we have noticed that the tank has been really clean. My question is, to the anenomes and feather dusters make the water dirty? We had a layer of sludge and debre on the bottom of the tank, before but with out them it has been cleaner.

otto13

i can not say for sure, but i have tons of anemones and feather dusters and have not experienced any of the problems you have mentioned. what type of anemone do you have?

otto13

i dont think that the feather duster is the problem. they are fine filter feeders. they should improve the quality of your water. lets look at the anemones. do you add any type of supplement or food for them? what is your tank size?

reef rockett

we have a 45 gallon tank, and we were not told about suppliments. the tank has never been so clean, since we removed them. But the holding tank for them, we have to change the water everyday, other wise you can't see them, holding tank is 10 gallon tank with bio-wheel and air stone. What kind of suppiments are you talking about? it might be helpful, we right now have a fish-only tank. but we would like to have a reef tank agian.

otto13

are any of these tanks new. i have experienced cloudiness in new tanks if there are too many fish or invertebrates. i guess my question is, did you start a new 45 gallon, i got cloudy when you added all this new stuff and then created a new 10 gallon sick tank or were these established. i have never had problems like you are describing and i have tons and tons of anemones.

reef rockett

when we first started the 45 gallon tank there was cloudyness but that is normal. And it was cleared untill we started addiing inverts. I don't know it is a mystery to me too. hopefully we can solve it.