Feding phytoplankton ?

stapler

I am going to start adding this to my tank for my corals...and will do it after the lights are out and the skimmer turns off(they turn off at the same time). Just wondering if my cannister and Milenium bio filter will "eat up" all the phytoplankton.

bdhough

what corals? alot of them don't need it. phytoplex or dt's? the first is pretty worthless.
either way none of it will get eaten up by your filters.

stapler

Its not DT. Its phytoplankton from someone off ----. Its called Phyto Gold.
Anyhow...ill give it a try.

S

sashimi

Originally posted by bdhough
what corals? alot of them don't need it. phytoplex or dt's? the first is pretty worthless.
either way none of it will get eaten up by your filters.

:happyfish
The filter feeders consumes what feeds off of the Phytoplankton, so in the long run all filter feeders benefit from Phytoplankton. Its a food chain.

druluv

If your running Carbon, protein skimmer, or a UV Ster then your wasting your time. These equipment distroy the Phyto P. up

lestregus

from my understanding phyto increases phosphate in the system
basically just working against your skimmer. i stopped adding it.

S

sashimi

Originally posted by stapler
Anyone else have different opinions on phyto plankton?

:happyfish I have been using DT's Phytoplankton for a long time and like the end results. All the filter feeders are healthly and growing, no out of control alage. When I add the DT's I always turn off the skimmmer and wait for the phytoplankton drift to the sand bed. HTH

kahnsell

I just recently stopped using DT's b/c I agree that it is just adding phosphates into my system... I am now just adding Cyclopeeze once or twice a week now. IMO, the phytoplex stuff is not healthy for your tank...

nm reef

I use both DT's Phyto Plankton and Cyclop-eeze on a somewhat regular basis...the phyto is primarily for filter feeders and the lower parts of the food chain...cyclop-eeze is a larger particle size and is consumed directly by corals/fish...both can be good additions in my opinion. Below are a couple sources of info on both....
info on DT's
info on cyclop-eeze