feed your rock!

lauremf2002

Ok, I just figured that with all the algae in my tank I didnt need to "feed my rock" or my snails and crabs for that matter, but it has started to look awfully clean (and algae free) so I dropped some pellet food in there and boy do I feel bad now. About a dozen BIG bristleworms literally fell out of the rocks trying to get to the food. Poor guys must have been starving! My crabs looked pretty happy too. I hope I didnt go overboard and put too much in though. Ill admit I didnt think I needed to feed my rock since I live in the middle of Oklahoma and by the time it gets to me it has pretty much died, but we musnt forget about the wormies and such that obviously dont just live off of algae.

wangotango

You shouldn't need to feed your rock or inverts. Most of the inverts are scavengers and will be fine with what the fish don't get to.
-Justin

renogaw

i'm thinking this is a new tank, hence the need to feed the rock (keeping the bio filter alive).

mr_x

if you have "About a dozen BIG bristleworms" living in your rock, i'd say they are getting plenty to eat.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2956038
if you have "About a dozen BIG bristleworms" living in your rock, i'd say they are getting plenty to eat.
the tank is only about 1.5 months old, going through or just gone though the cycle. they may have gotten enough to eat in whatever old system or ocean they were in, but not since being put in the tank.

lauremf2002

O ya, I have no fish in the dt. Hence me deciding to put a pinch of pellets in. And they ate all of it. And yes, the tank is only 6 weeks old, but they have cleaned it all up and so I thought they might need some food. PS Im thinking I might remove the 2 large bristle worms b/c Im afraid they may eat shrimp when I get them

stanlalee

I wouldn't feed liverock. let natural selection and survival of the fittest take its course. sooner or later you'll have something to feed and thats when they'll eat if ever. let their numbers and survival be dictated by your tanks needs, dont try to keep them alive until you have needs, believe me they dont need help. I havent seen a single bristle worm in at least 8 months, my tank probably cant sustain any significant population and good rittens! I dont like em. stomatellas thats another story, got a little army that comes out at night and keeps it algae free. I saw none for the first 6 months and I dont have much algae to speak of but they are there so life in there must be to their liking. if and when the tank can no longer sustain a decent population they'll shut down the boom boom rooms and stop spraying my tank with gammets once a week or so like they do now.

lauremf2002

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2956694
I wouldn't feed liverock. let natural selection and survival of the fittest take its course. sooner or later you'll have something to feed and thats when they'll eat if ever. let their numbers and survival be dictated by your tanks needs, dont try to keep them alive until you have needs, believe me they dont need help. I havent seen a single bristle worm in at least 8 months, my tank probably cant sustain any significant population and good rittens! I dont like em. stomatellas thats another story, got a little army that comes out at night and keeps it algae free. I saw none for the first 6 months and I dont have much algae to speak of but they are there so life in there must be to their liking. if and when the tank can no longer sustain a decent population they'll shut down the boom boom rooms and stop spraying my tank with gammets once a week or so like they do now.
LOL good advice, Thank you. I just thought that all clean up guys and such might be hungry. There really isnt really algae left for them to eat. I think Iagree with the bristleworms being nasty, I just keep hearing that they are good detritus eaters