Feedback & What Am I?

sorcha

We currently have a 25 gallon hex with 7 damsels, 1 Blue, 2 Blue Devils, 2 Yellows & 2 Dominos. Also, several Turbos, Blue & Red Hermits, sand sifting snail, 2 emerald green crabs and 1 fire shrimp. The tank is 3 months along, we're new to the hobby. Planning on upgrading to a 92 gallon corner reef tank soon. So any feedback on the current tank is appreciated.
There are a couple of things in particular I'd like your input on. One is our Frogspawn, or what we've assumed is Frogspawn because the kid that sold it to us really didn't have a clue. It used to be alot happier, but lately it's been pretty inverted. This shot shows it today and more open than it's been lately, but still not all the way open. We have it up where it gets good light and is in a medium flow.
The other is some stuff that's been growing on the LR in the back of the tank recently. It sort of resembles silicone in color, but leafy in design. I wasn't too worried about it until it showed up on the Frogspawn all of a sudden. Now I'm not to happy about it.
And last are our new polyps. Just wondering if anyone has any infomation on them, how they grow, etc. Also new Mushroom coral and Mushroom Anemone today.
Thank you!

fishieness

like the mushrooms!
the pic with the snail in it are button polyps. they will reproduce very quickly. They like medium flow and all they light they can get They will grow under less lighting, but will color up a heck of a lot more under better lighting
as far as the silicone colored stuff, i dont knwo what it is, but it looks like it could be a type of spounge?
and the frogspawn: how much light do you have? where is it placed relative to the lights? What are your water levels? is anythign picking at it?

sorcha

Just posted some shots of the tank itself which gives a better idea as to where the Frongspawn is relative to the lights. The lighting is dual 40 daylight and actinic subpaqs and the water levels are 0 0 10, 3.2 alk, 420 Ca. We have Rio 800 and 600 power heads for circulation and Aqua-C Remora Pro HOT filter with Mag 3 pump. We've been using the Nutriwater Sea Water for water changes too - 8.8 gallons every 2 weeks.
I like the mushrooms, there are so many to choose from! I really want some bright blue ones, we need some other colors in there. But there are so many other corals that we want to get too. Most will wait until we can get a bigger tank.

rainfishy

I am gonna say that you do not have enough light for frogspawn and that is why it is not looking good. Sounds like you have regular florecents, you need at least PCs for frogspawn and all LPS corals, better would be MH or VHO
Good Luck

fishieness

Originally Posted by Rainfishy
I am gonna say that you do not have enough light for frogspawn and that is why it is not looking good. Sounds like you have regular florecents, you need at least PCs for frogspawn and all LPS corals, better would be MH or VHO
Good Luck
i agree 100%

sorcha

Good Luck
They are power compact dual, 1 40 watt dual daylight and are half 6,700K and half 10,000K. And then 1 40 watt dual actinic which are half 420nm and half 460nm. The tank is 25 gallons, can't imagine putting more light in there?
Thanks for the feedback - I do appreciate it! We really want a bunch of corals in the next larger tank, so we want to be sure we're doing it right.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Sorcha
They are power compact dual, 1 40 watt dual daylight and are half 6,700K and half 10,000K. And then 1 40 watt dual actinic which are half 420nm and half 460nm. The tank is 25 gallons, can't imagine putting more light in there?
They make 70w MH for the Nano Cube 12g plus having pc's in it...so Yes you could have a ton more light in there...

rainfishy

Dual 40s is still only 80 watts of light (if I am understanding your post correctly), 80 watts is not enough for most corals including frogspawn.
I have 130 watts on my 29 gallon and my frogspawn does well, but this is only considered medium light.
If you are really interested in growing corals I would check out some posts on lighting, particularly the ones in the archives. :joy:
Here is my frogspawn

fishieness

why wont may clowns host my frogspawn?!!

listen to this...... hosting options i ahve are:
BTA
frogspawn
hair mushrooms
hammer
anthillia
what do my clowns host?
my macro algae

sorcha

oops, that was not the pic I wanted, here is a better one
Great pixs! When I see pictures like that I start to doubt that ours IS frogspawn. We've looked all over the internet & in stores and haven't seen anything colored like it.
Thanks for the input on the lights, I'll have to check with my husband. He's the Parts Department, I never remember that stuff. I'm just all about the purty stuff. :happyfish
The smaller of our two Dominos started to hang out near the "frogspawn", but not exactly in it. Those two have started more cool behavior in the tank...no one ever went to our fire shrimp to be cleaned until they did. Now he cleans at least two or three of them.

sorcha

LOL this is Sorcha's husband: btw, this is where I got the lights http://marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_satellite.html if you scroll down you'll see the 20" dual 40W...this was the smallest fixture with the largest wattage not MH I could find. The tank is a least 10 years old given to us by a friend. Oceanic Systems Hex and according to volume measurements is should hold 25.8 gals of water so I call it a 25 gal, but even this 20" fixture hangs over the edge a bit.
We are building a 92 corner shortly and am looking into the different ways of setting that up now. This one will get the money put into a proper lighting system for sure.