Feeder goldfish

squidd

Originally posted by Harlequin
Thats true, good point heheh. Guess we were skipping the overlying problem that it doesnt need live food, lol. Go buy a bag of shrimp at your grocery store, it should last you a long time.

Very true...:yes:
I put a little over a 1/4 lb of "meat" a week in my Tank, so I've had a little incentive to research proper and economical nutrition for the "Boys"...
Having said that and at the risk of "tarnishing" my credability...I have been known to toss some "live" (yet nutritional) feeders in the tank for my own personal enjoyment...:D

flatzboy

Originally posted by Squidd
Very true...:yes:
I put a little over a 1/4 lb of "meat" a week in my Tank, so I've had a little incentive to research proper and economical nutrition for the "Boys"...
Having said that and at the risk of "tarnishing" my credability...I have been known to toss some "live" (yet nutritional) feeders in the tank for my own personal enjoyment...:D

I don't have an agressive tank yet but my neighbor and a few friends do and I love t watch them eat a damsel or chromis. We also catch our own feeders being here in florida less then a 100ft. from the water.

cincyreefer

Originally posted by pufferman
I'm confused as to why everyone is arguing whether or not brackish Molly is a healthier option than Goldfish. The solution is really simple. Either give your fish saltwater feeder or do not rely on them at all if the cost is a concern for you. I think the reason for feeding your fish live food comes more from a selfish motive than any real benefit to your fish. Just my two cents.

I agree with you, but crayfish actually are healthy for most SW fish... especially puffers. But there definitely are other alternatives that work just as well though, and crayfish are not needed. It is fun watching a puffer go crazy chasing after live food though. :D :cheer:

pufferman

I think I contradicted myself by saying that the feeding of live food is a selfish act. In fact, my keeping of saltwater fish in captivity itself has been done for a selfish reason, which is "my own personal enjoyment". If I truly wanted the happiness of those fishes, I would've not taken them out of ocean in the first place. At any rate, my point is we should go with a healthier option if possible. This does not preclude the use of freshwater feeder entirely, but it should be done sparingly not to risk their health. :yes:

liverock27

Would you have to worry about some of the medicines used in freshwater tanks hurting your tank if you feed your fish goldfish? Don't alot of treatments use Copper for freshwater?