Feeding a betta

alyssia

To anyone out there that has a betta: What do you feed it? I've tried many different things with mine but it doesn't really seem fond of any of them. It's starting to look a little skinny.

petjunkie

Hmmmm... mine loves the hikari betta pellets, never had a problem but they are supposed to be picky about switching foods, is he new?

doody00

I have 11 bettas, 6 males and 5 females. I don't breed them, I just have found some very pretty females.
I feed Hikari gold and freeze dried bloodworms. The Hikari I feed 3 or 4 days a week and then feed the bloodworms as a treat once or twice a week. All of my fish love both of these.
I have 1 male that would chase tiny bugs that happened to land on the outside of his jar and if that bug made the mistake of landing in his water, he was like a great white shark breaching to catch it. He loved those live meals.
Hope this helps some.
Good luck
judy

alyssia

Thanks everyone, he isn't new. I've had him about 8 months or so and he just started getting picky. I have some frozen bloodworms, I will try those. He doesn't seem to like the betta bites anymore. I think bettas only live 1-2 years and I don't know how old he was when I got him.

lion_crazz

Betta Bites always worked well for me, but finicky ones always go for bloodworms. When I keep bettas, I feed them every other day.

seannmelly

I feed mine once a day. For the first week or two he WOULD NOT and I repeat would not eat anything!!! But my boyfriend started feeding him only a couple "bites" a day and soon enough he started eating. Now, he's doing great. I like having a fish in our bedroom, makes me miss my saltwater tank I had up here...can't put a 125 in my room but I wish!!!

xdave

They like all larvae. They will accept freeze dried stuff more readily if you soak it in some fresh water for a few minutes first. In the summer I used to keep a bucket of water behind the garage and it would always have mosquito larvae in it. They (and all my FW fish) really love those!

alyssia

Originally Posted by xDave
They like all larvae. They will accept freeze dried stuff more readily if you soak it in some fresh water for a few minutes first. In the summer I used to keep a bucket of water behind the garage and it would always have mosquito larvae in it. They (and all my FW fish) really love those!