Feeding a Blonde Naso Tang

scotts2002

I have had a Blonde Naso Tang for almost one month and I am concerned that it may not be eating. I feed my fish OSI Spirulina flakes, OSI general marine flakes, a small sinking pellet varietyof marine food, and various frozen foods; Angel formula, type 2, Mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp. I also clip seaweed ( I think its put out buy Ocean Nutrition) in the tank once a day. Sometimes I use driied seaweed from the local oriental grocer.
The concern is that when I feed the fish, every fish in the tank goes crazy eating except for this one tang. I can tell that it is interested because it will swim up and take some food but then it spits it out. It seems to go after the sinking pellets the most but always spits them out.
I have seen it picking at the live rock. It does not appear to be getting thinner.
Is there anything that will entice it to eat?
The other fish in the tank are: Emporer Angel, Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 2 Percula Clowns, Royal Grama, and a 6 Line Wrasse.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

dogstar

I think if it looks and acting OK and its not looking too thin than it will come around. Remember none of that stuff looks or feels like what its used to eating in the wild and when it gets hungry enough it will start eating. Healthy fish can go a while without eating and really nothing you can do anyway. Look close at the mouth area to make sure its not injured cause that can stop some tangs from eating.

harlequinnut

You did not mention what size is your tank, that can have an effect on your naso if he was added to an already overpopulated tank. How long have you had the naso? Is he being harass by any of the other fish?
I just want to bring up my own experience with the naso since we're on this subject. I've always love the naso tang for it's looks. I have brought 3 naso tangs before separately of course. All three were of different sizes but all were blond nasos. One never made it past the 1st week, the second lasted a little longer but never ate with gusto. The 3rd was the biggest one thinking the bigger the stronger they are but that prove me wrong.
One month ago, I bought my 4th blonde naso. This one started eating the same day I added it to the tank. one month later it is still thriving in my tank, everytime I feed the fishes, this naso would go into a feeding frenzy, eats just about anything I put in there from brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, seaweed select and pellets. He even eats the regular shrimp that I buy from supermarket that I feed to my lookdown. I am very happy with this naso and I think he will be in my tank for a long time to come.

phisyinfl

I have had a blonde naso tang for about 6 months and when I first got him he didn't eat very well either what I ended up doing is putting in Romaine Lettuce instead of the dried stuff and he loves it. Once he started eating well on that then he started eating the angel formula well also. Give it a try and see if he likes it.

smbuddy46

i've had my naso tang for about 2 months he's about 6 inches long and i've always fed my romain lettuce. i put a piece in every morning attached to a clip and he's loves it, he won't eat anything else.

ohiorn67

I have had my naso for a couple of months now....at first she would not touch a thing, but LOVED the algae clip......that was all she would eat. I finally realized if the clip was in the tank even empty she expected it. I take it out now each day....she still does not like much....does not like mysis and occasionally will eat a piece or two of flake BUT SHE LOVESSSSS krill. eats the krill as much as she will eat the algae, but she won't eat anything that has been in the garlic....hates the garlic....she is very very healthy...krill, a couple of rare flakes and her algae sheets, I use several kinds for variety....

scubadoo

Originally Posted by smbuddy46
i've had my naso tang for about 2 months he's about 6 inches long and i've always fed my romain lettuce. i put a piece in every morning attached to a clip and he's loves it, he won't eat anything else.
Tangs cannot survive long-term on romaine lettuce. It lacks the required nutrition as romaine does not grow in the ocean. You should try and get the animal eating Nori or a product such as Seweed Selects. He will eventually get sick if the only greens provided is romaine lettuce.
JMO

scubadoo

Originally Posted by ScottS2002
I feed my fish OSI Spirulina flakes, OSI general marine flakes, a small sinking pellet varietyof marine food, and various frozen foods; Angel formula, type 2, Mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp. I also clip seaweed ( I think its put out buy Ocean Nutrition) in the tank once a day. Sometimes I use driied seaweed from the local oriental grocer.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Brine shrimp has little to ZERO nutritional value for marine animals. Brine shrimp lose most of the desired nutritional value within the first few hours after hatching. They develop quickly and use this for their own development. It is okay to feed as a little treat but you must know it has about the same nutritional value for marine animals as a Kit kat Bar. it should not be included as a regular part of your daily feedings.
JMO