Feeding a grouper?

a&m '96

I had a quick question on getting a 4 inch panther grouper to eat frozen foods. I just got him last weekend, so he's in a 10 gallon QT for another week. Anyway, he is pretty indifferent to frozen silversides (he'll eat one occasioanlly), and spits frozen krill out. However, he'll take live ghost shrimp all day. His future tankmates are a 5 inch porky puffer and a 2 inch humu, so he'll have to compete for food. I'd like to wean him onto frozens before he goes in there- any ideas on what they like best, how to do it, whether to add garlic, etc?

grouperhead

I've never had a problem w/ a grouper feeding either. try some more foods. right now, the only "grouper like" fish is a goldstripe soapfish. he eats krill, silverides, clams, brine, and squid so far. try some more foods. bo

kev

Just curious, what is the smallest tank that a panther grouper(or any other grouper) could fit into and still be happy?

kris

I have to agree that it is impossible to starve those guys--however that's exactly what you need to do. Offer frozen once a day or every other--but no more live at all, I don't care how much he begs. I bet within a week he loves your frozen food. It could take a little longer--but don't give in--up to two weeks (assuming he's in good condition now) Keep him in the qt though till he's done, you don't want to go polutting you main tank with the extra food.
Good Luck