Feeding Anemone

taznut

do you have a clown??? if he is hosting the anemone i was told that he would feed my long tenticle and not to worry about feeding it...

rustyj

Originally Posted by TODJ2002
What Should I Feed My Condy Anemone? The Lfs Confused Me. I Want To Make Sure It Is Eating. ***)

Condi anemone's I believe are from the Carribean and dont typically host clown fish. You should be able to feed it small bits of fish once every couple of days or once a week depending on the size.
The clown fish will feed their host if the food peices are too big for them to eat, but remember it will take food from your other fish to do that so make sure that when you feed it larger peices that you intend it for the enemone.

chickadee

here's some info i found on the condy:
The Condy Anemone is also known as the Haitian Anemone or Giant Golden Anemone. It is found throughout the Caribbean and Western Atlantic, in lagoons or on inner reefs, as individuals, or loose groups. It is never found in connected clusters. Its disc diameter is of 16" (40 cm), but a disc of about 4" (10 cm) is common in an aquarium. This species has diverse color variations. The base color is usually brown to white and the tentacles may or may not have magenta, purple, or green tips on its long tapering tentacles. The tentacles may occasionally develop a bubble-like appearance to them. It prefers to bury its base in the sand or into the crevice of a rock for protection.
The Condy Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although a Condy requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Condy Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Condy Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them.
The diet should include feedings of fish, mussels, shrimp, or other foods of this type.
So it looks like you can spot feed it with like a turkey baster or something along those lines.
and i was told that the clowns don't actually bring food to the anemone to feed it... they actually bring it to the anemone to "store" it for later eating, but inadvertently feed the anemone as a result. I could be wrong, but i'm sure i read that somewhere. I always though it was so cool that they feed their host, but i was told that wasn't the case... they popped my bubble... :-(

michaeltx

the clown in my avatar feed her BTA every time I feed the tank she would grab a piece run it over to the BTA and go grab one for her self and then grab another and take it to anemone when the anemone wouldnt take anymore she would stop even if there was food in the tank so I think its alittle bit of both the trying to store up food and feeding the host coral.
of course she always had to fight of the domino damsel cause he wanted to host in her BTA.
mike

chickadee

hmmm... interesting... well that did make more sense to me. If you're living somewhere, you have to maintain it, or else your house will start breaking down... what's the point of hosting if your anemone just dies anyway? yay!!! bubble back up!!!

dmjordan

you can feed it a small silverside once a week. what type of lighting do you have and how long has your tank been running?

stokedhawk

My clown definitely feeds it's host anenome. It grabs just about anything it can get its mouth on and drops it into the anenome. (snails, baby fish and seaweed from the seaweed clip). it also feeds it the regular food that it eats as well. it's crazy when it gives it seaweed because the anemone won't eat it, but the tangs start hovering trying to figure out how to get it and the clown goes crazy defending it's home.

surferb

i had a condi not too long ago and it died. i asked the same question you are because i thought mine was starving to death but it was from bad lighting not what i was feeding it. they need at the very least 1 watt of lighting for every gallon and some circulation from powerheads (not aimed at them of course) as for a clown hosting it, it happens but very rarly. and my friend that has one feeds it silver sides and frozen shrimp 2 times a month he's had his for about a year now. they mostly photosynthesize so make sure your lighting is decent.

todj2002

DMJORDAN I Have Just Got Thru The Begining Cycle And Could Not Wait To Get Some Life In The Tank Other Than My Two Hermit Crabs. I Put In One Condy And I Small Damsel For Now To See How Things Go. I Have 260 Watt Florescent Lights. Two 10,000k 65 Watt And Two Blue 65 Watt. Is This Sufficent? :help: