Feeding Brain Corals

alianated

I got a brain coral for my birthday. I believe it is an open brain. My question is this.. my bubble coral has a 'mouth' in which I see eat shrimp, etc if i give him some. My brain also appears to have this mouth. Only it isnt open (I have only had the guy 2 days.. that could be why)
Any feeding tips for these guys?

nm reef

I've got a red/green open brain that primarily feeds from the water column.......once a week or so....after lights out I feed him direct with a turkey baster....normally frozen brine/krill/plankton....or some fresh seafood(shrimp/scallop)......he seems to be doing fine.......

twoods71

I have a bubble that I feed live brine and sometimes frozen food. I have read that open brains will feed the same way as a bubble.
Congrats on the great B-day present.

reefj13

The mouths(brains actually have more than one when they get larger) and tentacles on the open brains is much smaller than on bubble corals. They also do not seem as inclined to eat during the day as bubble corals. If you want to feed it try after the lights have been off for a few hours with smaller stuff like pellets or brine shrimp. Don't worry though brains are not dependent on heterotrophic means of getting food. I have had one for three years and have not fed it once ;) .

mal

I have a green open brain. I feed it about 2-3 times a month. I feed it silversides. I just hold it on the center soft tissue until the brain "envelopes" it and consumes it. I have to keep my maroon clown from trying to steal it (for his anemone) before the brain totally eats it. It is really cool. I also feed my hammer coral the same way. My LFS has a bright yellow coral, looks like an open brain. I want to get it too.

burnnspy

You can feed it once a week something small like a piece of shrimp and it will love it.
BurnNSpy