Feeding Butterflies

carrie1429

It will take him a few days to get established to his new home. In a couple days he should start eating, in the meantime try encouraging him to eat with brine shrimp or bloddworms (my fish love em). :)

danfishman2

I am trying B.S. this afternoon,I got it too eat apistasia, but no sign of that yet. He has been in there for about 2 days.

carrie1429

Hmmm, sometimes fish take longer than others to get accumulated into their enviorment. Also I've heard that butterflys can be difficult to feed somtimes.

jdl/dayton

Was the butterfly eating at the lfs? I never buy a fish from the lfs unless he is eating readily. Let someone else take the risk if they buy him before this. There will always be another fish.
As for getting him to eat now your best bet may be live brine shrimp. The trouble is if they go too long without eating their digestive systems will begin to fail, so even if they do start eating they will still starve to death. Live brine is like chocolate to a fish. Taste great, but not very good for them. Thing is to keep that digestive system open and functioning. As he get comfortable he will start eating those aptasia.

danfishman2

I bought it online from a reputable dealer. He is eating brine shrimp, but this can't be a long term solution, what else may tempt him. Also, would it eat the larger apistia.

jdl/dayton

With all that LR in the tank, and knowing he is eating brine I think the butterfly will be fine. They are typically tough to get acclimated.

bluemarlin

I have Pearscale Butterflies and I had the same problem. They wouldn't eat. I kept feeding them brine shrimp and bloodworms and they slowly came around. They even eat the seaweed selects I feed my tangs.
Hopefully yours will come around too. Good luck.