Feeding clams?

sundance1

I just recieved 3 small clams,any suggestions on feeding?They are a gold maxima,a derasa and a squammy.The maxima is the smallest.

rberhow

wow they are tiny and cute. Phytoplankton works well for clams this size. From what i understand is clams under 4-5" need supplemental feeding beside what they get from the lights.

dburr

I fed my small crocea cyclopezee once every 1-2 weeks. Just floated it in a bowl right in the tank so it wouldn't get cold for 20 mins with the food suspended in the water. Don't try to "force feed" it. It will suck in and out on it's own.
HTH

X

xoxox

Originally Posted by coralcollector
Any clam under 3" needs to be bowl feed phyto Dt's very often.

sundance1

I put them on the shells(given to me by the lfs)so they wouldn't fall into the rockwork and I could move them if I want or need to,they are not attached.
I have decided to try a freeze dried product to feed them called Reef Chili.I don't know how it will work out but I am going to find out.My system is a 125 reef with 3x250 DE MH and 4x96 PC's.How often should I bowl feed them?Every other day?3 times a week?Any suggestions?

sundance1

Reef Chili is beneficial to all filter feeding corals. All size polyps
that readily take food will welcome the addition of Reef Chili. I
have included sizes from 2 microns all the way to 900. There is
Absolutely no reason to add any other products to feed your
corals.
Bio-engineered Zooplankton
This type of zooplankton is well known for extremely high levels of important fatty acids (Omega 3). It can have as much as 40 times the Highly
Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFA's) of Artemia nauplii (baby brine shrimp).
Tests have also shown this zooplankton to have uniquely high levels of
beneficial antioxidants and Carotenoid pigments (astaxanthene} .
(400 to 500 microns)
Spray-dried Phytoplankton
Phytoplankton is considered by most aquarists to be the best all around feed for aquatic filter feeders. Spray-dried phytoplankton has the benefit of
being preserved at the height of its nutritional value so you always know you
are feeding your tank the very best..
(2-900 microns depending on how well it is mixed )
Artemia nauplii replacement diet
For years it has successfully replaced live Artemia nauplii all over the world. The feed contains small pockets of air that keep it suspended in the water
column and help it mimic live Artemia nauplii. Because of its size and
nutritional value it is simply prefect for supplemental coral feeding.
Contains Fish protein, whey, yeast and yeast extracts, marine fish oil, phospholipids,
astaxanthin, vitamin and mineral premixes, anti-oxidants
(1-50 mcirons and 50-100 microns)
Freeze dried Rotifers
Rotifers are a wonderful zooplanktonic treat for your corals. These rotifers are naturally enriched by feeding on micoalgaes like phytoplankton and
contain up to an incredible 60% protein. These are also freeze dried at the
peak of their nutritional value. The freeze dried rotifers completely remove the
tedious task of maintaining the cultures.
(100-200 microns)
Freeze dried Copepods
Because of the high HUFA and fatty acid content, copepods are one of the best natural foods available for invertebrates. Aquaculture companies all
over the world use them in vast quantity’s. Freeze dried at the peak of their
nutritional cycle they are able to maintain up to 57% protein.
(100-400 microns)
Dried Daphnia
Also known as the water flea, daphnia is an excellent coral food. The crustacean naturally comes packed with incredibly healthy blue-green algae
. Blue green algae are an incredible source of highly unsaturated fatty acids
(HUFA’s) like Arachidonic Acid, Alpha-Linolenic Acid and Linoeic Acid.
(5 -750 microns)
Spirulina Powder
The benefits of blue green algae are incredible. This type of algae is packed full of vitamins , minerals, carotenoid pigments and amino acids, making it
very nutritious for all the organisms in your tank
{50-100 microns).

blue oasis

Good morning, we feed our coral every Saturday which is part of or 2 hour maintenace on the tank. We feed all our coral cyclopezee mixed with Phytoplankton in a small container and then turkey base all the coral.
N & G

sundance1

I have decided to raise thes 3 on only reefchili and my lighting(3x250 DE MH 14K and 4x96 PC's).I am going to keep track of their progress with pics every Tuesday.I am bowl feeding everyother day.