Feeding Corals Help

silverado61

I'm doing research for a 72 gallon build I'm working on that will include corals soon after it's cycled and running. Is there a forum on here that explains the care of corals, what to feed and how to feed them? I've finally got the book that Flower always brags about. (Awesome book by the way. Thanks Flower. ) It explains about placement, lighting, hardiness and aggressiveness but it says nothing, that I found anyway, about caring for them.

Also, cope-pods. I read how important they are for feeding but.... How would I get my hands on them to put em into the refuge in the first place? If I have a sump/refuge combination, wouldn't they just migrate into the display through the return or do they just get chewed up by the pump?

I'd rather get all my help here but are there websites I can go to that explains all this without stepping on SWF's toes?

zoidberg01

For the copepods put chaetomorpha in the refuge they love that and phyto 2 to make them feed and reproduce quikly

dmanatee

you can buy them. Yup
they come in a bottle! Not sure of the name of the product off the top of my head, but they can be purchased to seed an aquarium or fuge,

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/396802/feeding-corals-help#post_3535372
I'm doing research for a 72 gallon build I'm working on that will include corals soon after it's cycled and running. Is there a forum on here that explains the care of corals, what to feed and how to feed them? I've finally got the book that Flower always brags about. (Awesome book by the way. Thanks Flower. ) It explains about placement, lighting, hardiness and aggressiveness but it says nothing, that I found anyway, about caring for them.

Also, cope-pods. I read how important they are for feeding but.... How would I get my hands on them to put em into the refuge in the first place? If I have a sump/refuge combination, wouldn't they just migrate into the display through the return or do they just get chewed up by the pump?

I'd rather get all my help here but are there websites I can go to that explains all this without stepping on SWF's toes?

Hi,

The charts in the book tell you everything you need to know....

The book explains the amount of light, and water flow needed. It also explains the food the coral feeds on. You just need to learn how to implement the information. So let's examine the chart in the example below... it shows that this coral needs strong flow, but very little light. So to care for the example coral pictured, the coral eats detritus, fish poop and tiny micro critters...so no spot feeding is needed. You should place the coral either under an overhang ledge of rock out of the direct light, or low in the tank but not right on the substrate...and it should be in an area of the tank with very strong current. 6 and above means the coral is pretty easy, but this coral is at a 5 for hardiness, which means it's a bit difficult to keep alive, but under the right circumstances and placement, this coral is right in the middle for surviving. The aggression of this coral is very low, so it can be near other corals, but not touching (another basic rule...different types of corals should NEVER touch each other)...this coral does not have tentacles that come out at night like the very aggressive bubble coral does...So running a little carbon to prevent chemical warfare (warfare is a concern in all reef tanks), and giving the coral room to spread out without touching others, will make it a good community coral to keep. The description offered is an effort to educate you on how to identify this coral, colors vary, but the basic shape of the coral on close inspection, will help you make sure you have the right coral, therefore you will know how to care for it according to the books information provided.

Basic rule of thumb...corals do not do well if PO4 (phosphates) or NO3 (nitrates) are high...so always strive for 0 on those readings in any reef tank. Also with a reef, you have to watch the calcium levels, since inverts, coralline algae and corals need it to grow. So keep a reef with 400 to 500 readings on cal.

So you see, between the book, and knowing what the proper reef levels should be, you have the information you need to know to keep this coral happy and alive.

Copepods are in and on your live rock. You can purchase reef pods from any on-line fish store to try and seed your refugium, and they do come on your macros. Time for the pods to populate is all you really need, a refugium provides a quiet place for pods to breed undisturbed, or eaten by the fish...Otherwise the eaters munch on them, and the population drops. Eventually they are hunted down so much that the numbers are almost non-existent...you may not see them, but they are still there.

silverado61

Thanks Flower. Your right, all the info is in the book. Reading back on my thread, I worded the question wrong. My bad. LOL

I guess what I really needed to know is HOW do I feed corals? I've read in other threads about some corals that need target feeding some don't. How do I know which is which?

Another question, and this may sound like a stupid one to most of you. But you've all said it before "Here, there are no stupid questions". Running carbon. I always thought it meant having carbon in your filter, which I do in my back filter. But when I finish the 72 gallon, I won't have a HOB anymore. So, how do I "run carbon"? Flower, you actually brought this question to mind when you responded to this thread and I've read it in several other threads. Can anyone define this for me?

Please everyone, keep in mind that I am still very new to this so for my sake, dumb it down a bit so I understand it better.

I think I need to take time and write up a whole list of questions then find someone that I can actually sit down with and get answers from. Someone I can barter services for. You teach me what I need to know, I help you with water changes, etc. Saves me time. Saves you money. (That was a hint to one of you.) lol

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/396802/feeding-corals-help#post_3535474
Thanks Flower. Your right, all the info is in the book. Reading back on my thread, I worded the question wrong. My bad. LOL

I guess what I really needed to know is HOW do I feed corals? I've read in other threads about some corals that need target feeding some don't. How do I know which is which?

Another question, and this may sound like a stupid one to most of you. But you've all said it before "Here, there are no stupid questions". Running carbon. I always thought it meant having carbon in your filter, which I do in my back filter. But when I finish the 72 gallon, I won't have a HOB anymore. So, how do I "run carbon"? Flower, you actually brought this question to mind when you responded to this thread and I've read it in several other threads. Can anyone define this for me?

Please everyone, keep in mind that I am still very new to this so for my sake, dumb it down a bit so I understand it better.

I think I need to take time and write up a whole list of questions then find someone that I can actually sit down with and get answers from. Someone I can barter services for. You teach me what I need to know, I help you with water changes, etc. Saves me time. Saves you money. (That was a hint to one of you.) lol

LOL...You live so close...the Holidays are over for me, so any time you want to come over...give me a call, you have my number.

In the book, look at the top of the picture...you will see what they eat. If you see a fish symbol (not the one of fish pooping), it means that critter needs some serious meat, so a chunk of shrimp is the answer, since you don't want it to actually feed on your fish.

Some corals need so much food that it's not possible to have that much in the water, so you need to release food that will flow over it, or create a bubble... using a glass or clear container as a dome to have the food remain over the coral for a period of time. (such corals I always avoided)

As to "how do you know"....LOL...I see a pretty coral and post on this site, the ones who have had that coral before
will tell me best how to care for it. If it's too much work for me I pass on it. Books can only take us so far...the folks with hands on experience like Bang Guy, and a few other professors on the site, are full of priceless information. Sometimes just knowing where to go for the answer on a certain coral is all you really need....I found this site, and dug in for the long haul.

jcr1227

Hi
I am also new at this and willing to learn.
May i ask whats the name of the book??
Thanks!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk