feeding Garlic to fish

reef_dart21

i been wanting to feed garlic to my fish to boost their immune system due to the recent water change and how would i feed them it?
would i just put the food with garlic in a turkey baster?
i have no more plain garlic is already minced garlic good?
thank you for you time

scotts

As with all things in this hobby there are many ways to do this. When I have added garlic to fish food it was the garlic extract, you know liquid form. This can actually be fairly expensive, but I did just see a cheaper bottle of this at Petsmart recently. Anyway I would let the food thaw in just a smidge of water and a couple of drops of the garlic. Let it all sit together for about an hour and then pour it on in.
There are others that talk about only using fresh garlic because it does not lose the nutrients. Similar to if you boil broccoli you boil out all the nutrients. However if you use fresh or extract the main thing you want to do is let the food soak up the garlic juice, to make sure that the fish get the garlic juice when they eat the food.

m0nk

I bought a $5 garlic press and ocassionally take a clove and press it to a pulp over the food I'm mixing up. When using garlic, I'm also usually adding liquid vitamins so it all soaks up into the food really well. I try not to feed too much of the pulp because the juice is what contains the allicin, the beneficial nutrient that is created when you cut/crush garlic... this compound degrades quickly, which is why the garlic drops don't actually help much.

m0nk

Originally Posted by Foxface2
http:///forum/post/2468415
does zoecon do the same thing as garlic
Zoecon is another vitamin supplement like Selcon and Vita-Chem. It doesn't contain garlic extract, as far as I know.

al mc

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2468427
Zoecon is another vitamin supplement like Selcon and Vita-Chem. It doesn't contain garlic extract, as far as I know.
Even if the 'Z' contains garlic extract it will not be helpful imho. There is much debate about what substance or substances in garlic that are of benefit. Currently the thought is that Allicin, released by crushing fresh garlic, is the substance with the most medicinal benefit.
This substance quickly (hours) degrades so the bottled formulas are near worthless, unless there is another substance, as yet unrecognized, that will have some medicinal benefits within the bottled garlic extract that helps.
There is no scientific study that would prove/dissprove that garlic is of any benefit to swf.
There is anecdotal suggestions that it may help boost the swf immune system. I do use it at times, but I doubt it does as much as some people claim.
It is reported to help humans/mammals. There are no peer reviewed studies in the human/veterinarian literature that supports that claim(s). I like garlic. I eat it on many things. I hope it helps my immune system. It may...or may not.

alex4286

dice up a clove to really really small pieces
place the frozen cube in a small cup, add a little water and after 5mins when its thawed out add the garlic, mix it up real food & wait about 15mins for the food to absorb in the garlic as it thaws & ur set!

foxface2

is zoecon worth buying and adding to the food,or whats the best vitiam that you could add to help immune system and color or the health of the fish....sick or not

m0nk

Originally Posted by Foxface2
http:///forum/post/2468994
is zoecon worth buying and adding to the food,or whats the best vitiam that you could add to help immune system and color or the health of the fish....sick or not
I think Zoecon or Selcon are both good products and either will do the same. Vita-chem is the next step down, and I'm personally not crazy about some of the others.