Feeding lionfish

I am planning on purchasing a new lionfish in a few weeks. I work at a restaurant, and can easily get leftover scraps of crab/lobster meat. Would I be able to feed this stuff to the lionfish?

aw2x3

Nope. In the wild, fish dont eat cooked crab or lobster meat...you need to be feeding nothing but raw/uncooked foods.

maine_guy5

feed him small goldfish or guppies sometimes you can get them to eat frozen brine shrimp.or try live brine shrimp.
Pete

1journeyman

Originally Posted by maine_guy5
feed him small goldfish or guppies sometimes you can get them to eat frozen brine shrimp.or try live brine shrimp.
Pete
Never feed Fw fish to Sw fish.
Brine shrimp are nutritional wastelands.
As AW said, don't feed cooked.

ams153

as said above NO guppies NO gold fish and avoid brine shrimp its pointless to feed that stuff its no good for the fish krill and mysis and squid were the easiest things for me to get my fish to take to!

jim417mx

Could a lionfish go on a hunger strike if he is fed freshwater goldfish? (hes at his 1st week right now)

hot883

Originally Posted by Jim417mx
Could a lionfish go on a hunger strike if he is fed freshwater goldfish? (hes at his 1st week right now)
It is not nice to "hyjack" a thread with your own questions. But since it is here I will say this; You will need to explain your question better so someone can help, but start your own thread to do so.
I am not being rude to you; just curtious to this threads author. Barry

jim417mx

I had no intentions of "hijacking" this topic , just asked a simple question that had to do with the latest replies... but whatever man.. Thanks for answering my question

geridoc

When I got my lionfish he was taking only mysis, but as he got more eager to take them, I slipped in silversides, then scallops and shrimp from the fish (food) store. Now, he even takes formula one cubes (I cut them into quarters, since he has trouble swallowing an intact cube). I think the key is patience (where have I heard that advice before on this site?).

N

nonphotosynt

Be ready that some lions don't accept the dead food ever. I had no problems with weaning volitan, but antennata refused to eat anything, but alive AND moving prey. It's much more expensive and one more tank to maintain.
The food should be of saltwater origin, uncooked, unsalted, without preservatives, preferably the whole animal (like baby octopus or krill), not just filet. The frozen packs are inexpensive at asian food stores: sea mix, shrimp and fish, baby octopus and others; krill from LFS.