Feeding Lionfish,

AquaAlexCard93

Hello. I have been keeping saltwater fish only with live rock predatory aquariums for a couple years. I've kept puffers, triggers, and the like but never kept lionfish. I've always wanted lionfish but have read and heard that they are hard to feed and only eat live. I don't want to feed live shrimp and guppies. But I really like the looks of the zebra and volitan lionfish. Is it true they are hard to feed? I feed my fish market shrimp, tilapia, krill, frozen brine and mysis shrimp and other meaty foods. Do you think I could eventually get a lionfish to eat these foods?
Out of the zebra and Volitan lionfish which one would be the most easiest to get off live foods?
I know I am probably day dreaming but it would be cool to purchase a lionfish already off of live foods.

jay0705

Personally go w a dwarf lion. My zebra started on live ghost shrimp, but quickly transitioned to frozen prawns, krill, small frozen sw fish. I started by hand feeding him live shrimp them mix in a prawn. Eventually only feeding frozen prawns

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Hello. I have been keeping saltwater fish only with live rock predatory aquariums for a couple years. I've kept puffers, triggers, and the like but never kept lionfish. I've always wanted lionfish but have read and heard that they are hard to feed and only eat live. I don't want to feed live shrimp and guppies. But I really like the looks of the zebra and volitan lionfish. Is it true they are hard to feed? I feed my fish market shrimp, tilapia, krill, frozen brine and mysis shrimp and other meaty foods. Do you think I could eventually get a lionfish to eat these foods?
Out of the zebra and Volitan lionfish which one would be the most easiest to get off live foods?
I know I am probably day dreaming but it would be cool to purchase a lionfish already off of live foods.
I've personally never had an issue getting any lions to take frozen thawed shrimp. You're going to love them! Great personality.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
I live on Florida's east cost, they're considered an invasive species. My father in law just caught 10 huge volitans in a few hours while fishing for snapper a couple days ago.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I'm told. Never had it personally. I've eaten some weird sea creatures lol, but no lions yet. Lol

Reefing_with_John

Administrator
Staff member
Go with a dwarf lion fish the easiest thing to do is just make sure the fish is eating prepared food at your LFS before you purchase. Some eat frozen food without a problem others are extremely picky!