feeding maxima clam

stacylrt

How often should I be feeding my maxima clam. I have been spot feeding it about every other day. It is about almost 2inchs. I have been feeding it PhytoMax. Is this the right food and am I feeding it too much?

stacylrt

Yes I have been feeding it. I have been putting 1 drop in a coffee cup full of aquarium water and putting it in a baster and spot feeding it every other day. I probably feed about 20cc from the coffee cup. The rest of the food left in the cup is feed to a xneia and green center zoos.

yosemite sam

So are you directly spraying the food at the clam with the baster? If so, stop doing this, it is really bad for the clam. You will clog the clam's gills blasting a clam with food from a baster.
What kind of lighting do you have? I personally don't think you need to feed clams directly (ie any sort of special feeding for the clam besides good lighting). Before I took my tank down when I lived in LA, I had a 1.5" and 2.5" maxima that were not directly fed. I put in a few capfulls of DT's in the tank once or twice a week, but that was it. They were under 400w halides and were growing until I sold them.

stacylrt

I was directly feeding it slow and easy not fast and hard. I am new at corals and clams. Just started the first of April with them. What is DT's if you don't mind answering.
My tank has been set up for almost 2yrs. I am running
3 x 150mh DE 10k and 260watts of actinics. My husband built my DIY hood.

yosemite sam

DT's is live phytoplankton. You should be able to get it where ever you buy your corals/fish. Yeah, stop using the baster. Even slowly, it can hurt the clam. And if it isn't already, I'd but the clam on the upper portion of the rock work. 150w halides aren't super strong. The clam will do better higher up.

stacylrt

Thanks for all the info. He is on a rock in the middle of the tank.
If the lfs doesn't have DT's what else can I feed the clam that is good for it.