feeding of eels

T

thespook

I have a wolf head how often should I feed it?
I put 3 Moloies in the tank with it so it could eat as it wanted but in 2 days they were all gone. I also feed it shrimp (when I have it) and frozen Krill.
I feed it the right stuff i think but how often should I feed it? 2-3 times a week.

dgs174

I personally feed my eel different foods daily. I alternate between krill, clams, and squid. So one day krill, next day clams......etc. It is less expensive than feeding them life fish..... ;)

T

thespook

So feeding daily is not bad?? I was under the impression that they eat like snakes or 3 times a week? Oh well guess I will be going to the store tonight to get squid fresh of course!

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Yes, eels have a large appetite which means they must be fed more often. I feed all my fish daily with a good variety of fresh small meaty foods. Squid, krill, shrimp, and silversides make up a balanced meal for my aggressive fish. It keeps them healthy, more active and can enhance their colors. A good daily feeding will keep the eel happy and healthy. Hope this helps and welcome to the board.

pufferlover

I agree with the lion man. My 2 snowflakes come out every day for food and I feed them only frozen food Krill, Squid, and Silversides. There were many on the board who do not believe in daily eel feedings but if mine appear they get food like the others. I do not feed live to any of my fish (personal preference).

T

thespook

Need more help!!
I have added a Lion fish with my eel (its black) and I dont see it eating. The eel and it seem to be getting along it has been in the tank for about 1 week now.
Since I have two fish in the tank should I hold the food until the eel or lion fish come up to get it?
Or should I just break the frozen Krill, squid ect up into small bite size portions and just let them float in the tank?

pufferlover

I would use a feeding stick if you want a hands on feeding with your fish otherwise let it float it will sink in time and they will find it. The Lion may need some training unless it was fed non live food at the store, but I'll let the Lionfish give you more on that he is the expert on Lions.

lionfish

LionFish says......
As you already know the eel and lion are both predatory fish which enjoy hunting a meal. But you have probably noticed that the lion is much slower than the eel and isn't as fast as the eel. Is the lion actually seeing the food but not eating it or is it just not as fast as the eel. Don't let it float because the eel will notice it can escape if it sticks its head out of the water. Try using a feeder stick to make it look like its alive. If this doesn't work just post something and I will help you some more.

T

thespook

Sniff Sniff
The lion fish is dead :(
Not sure what it died from.