Feeding Phytoplankton to Corals

catfishcity

I just fed some phytoplankton to my corals(recommended by LFS) and they didnt really react to it as i thought that they would. how do i know that they are eating it? which corals should i be feeding this to because i fed it to almost all my corals tonight?

aquaguy24

wat kind of coral is it...most corals actually don't need to be fed...they get most of their food from the light and water....but u do need to feed non-photosynthetic corals like a sun coral..lfs prolly told u that u need to feed the corals to make a sale..

flower

Originally Posted by catfishcity
http:///forum/post/3029428
I just fed some phytoplankton to my corals(recommended by LFS) and they didnt really react to it as i thought that they would. how do i know that they are eating it? which corals should i be feeding this to because i fed it to almost all my corals tonight?

I feed my tank phytoplex (phytoplankton). It takes a coral all day to feed. They close up a bit when they eat, they are all out and stretching because they are hungry early in the morning and by evening they are much more closed. Not closed like when they are stressed.
A sun coral for example must be spot fed, you need a turkey baster or syringe and squirt the food in the flow of water to pass over it.

fmarini

its been a long time since i had to think about this,
but i am under the impression that corals (in general) eat zooplanktons, not phytoplankton. meat not plants. When you feed your tank phytoplanktons what your actually doing if feeding the infauna in the live rocks and sand bed, and its their nauplii that are feeding the corals.
Now some non-photosynthetic corals requires phytos (dendronepthias come to mind), and others like suncorals require larger zooplanktons.
actually many corals do better if they are fed, as it supplements their nutrition they receive from photosynthesis
feeding the tank w/ phytos and rotifers is a good thing, but you might not be directly feeding the corals w/ what you think.

flower

Originally Posted by FMarini
http:///forum/post/3029727
its been a long time since i had to think about this,
but i am under the impression that corals (in general) eat zooplanktons, not phytoplankton. meat not plants. When you feed your tank phytoplanktons what your actually doing if feeding the infauna in the live rocks and sand bed, and its their nauplii that are feeding the corals.
Now some non-photosynthetic corals requires phytos (dendronepthias come to mind), and others like suncorals require larger zooplanktons.
actually many corals do better if they are fed, as it supplements their nutrition they receive from photosynthesis
feeding the tank w/ phytos and rotifers is a good thing, but you might not be directly feeding the corals w/ what you think.
Interesting...I just buy coral food and never understood the details.

spanko

FMarini nailed it................basically..........
Phytoplankton feed Zooplankton
Zooplankton feed coral and fish fry
Coral and fish fry feed...............................................

jackri

I agree it not being really necessary... some of the polyps (SPS coral) may grab a bit of food.. but LPS corals can take meaty foods like mysis.
My favia, candy cane and sun coral all will ingest and close up on mysis shrimp.

npage

If you are looking for "coral food" I like...
Rods Food Coral Blend or Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast
Also google "Pappone" if you are thinking of making your own.