Feeding Rbta

bigpete

I've had my RBTA for 6 months now in my 12 gal and its been doing great. As of recently, it has began to look below par...its color is fine but every now and then it will close up for an hour or so. Not too often, but still cause for alarm. I have recently switched from spot feeding it mysis shrimp to whole silversides. Could this be the problem? Would it help to put it under my 70 watt MH? Its currently under 48 watts PCs. Thanks!

browniebuck

MH are ideal for most anemones...however if it has lasted for 6 months with your current status, I don't think the light change is necessary. How big is the anemone and how big are the silversides. I have been told to make sure that the food is no larger than the mouth of the anemone. I just got mine and have used thawed out krill and chopped up raw shrimp. I would venture to guess that the problem is probably related to the food change (mysis=tiny, silversides=much larger).

bigpete

thats what i thought as well. the anemone, at this point, is about 6 inches wide (including arms, its much larger, about 11 inches). i'll try spot feeding it mysis shrimp this week and see how it does. is that a good game plan? thanks!

browniebuck

mysis really isn't very big (it would probably take quite a few to satisfy the anemone)...try going to the supermarket and getting a couple of raw shrimp, or maybe a single filet of fish and chop it into pieces that are roughly the size of the anemone's mouth and spot feed that way.
At my local supermarket, they put the shrimp in a little deli type bowl and I put the pieces of shrimp on the lid before I put it into the freezer to make it easier to separate when feeding time arrives.

perfectdark

If your lighting is sufficient then there is really no need to spot feed your anem. What type of lighting is it under? The larger the piece of food you feed it the harder the animal has to work to eat it. This can stress the animal out or at best just tire it. Pieces no larger than its mouth are best and silversides are a good choice. Other options are mysis, raw shrimp, clam even frozen cube food. Even though your anem may look good if your lighting isnt strong enough it maybe failing but very slowly. Hope this helps.

bigpete

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2489244
If your lighting is sufficient then there is really no need to spot feed your anem. What type of lighting is it under? The larger the piece of food you feed it the harder the animal has to work to eat it. This can stress the animal out or at best just tire it. Pieces no larger than its mouth are best and silversides are a good choice. Other options are mysis, raw shrimp, clam even frozen cube food. Even though your anem may look good if your lighting isnt strong enough it maybe failing but very slowly. Hope this helps.

Its under 48 watts. I have a 70 watt MH set up but am reluctant to use it because of evaporation (its a 12 gal tank). I'm afraid of adding too much fresh water. The problem started when I began to feed the anemone silversides...so I've stoped for the time being. It seemed to be doing very well with mysis shrimp. I would feed my clowns, then whatever was left (which was quite a bit) would spot feed my anemone. I will try chopping up shrimp, how many times a week should I feed him. I'm at once a week. Thanks!

perfectdark

Taking your lighting into consideration I would recomend every other day to every 2 days. However your spot feeding process is only prolonging then inevitable. Your lighting is far below sufficient. I would use the 70watt MH if I were you.

bigpete

the man i bought it from has kept his RBTA in a 12 gal under the same lighting for 2 years. in fact, i bought one of his splits. he said i shouldnt be too concerned. if i do switch to MH, and have to do daily top offs, will the RO water effect the RBTA?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by bigpete
http:///forum/post/2490762
the man i bought it from has kept his RBTA in a 12 gal under the same lighting for 2 years. in fact, i bought one of his splits. he said i shouldnt be too concerned. if i do switch to MH, and have to do daily top offs, will the RO water effect the RBTA?
No not in the least...

bigpete

ok so i've kept the RBTA under 70 watts and it seems to be doing well. full arms, open all day, etc. i bought some krill frozen cubes. i thawed it out and found that it is all chopped up...would this be worth feeding my anemone? If i do feed it raw shrimp, how often and how much should i feed it at one time? thanks!